Difference between revisions of "Chemistry Building"
m (Text replacement - "Swem Library, College of William and Mary" to "Swem Library, William & Mary")
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
*Pl979.584, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library,
*Pl979.584, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William Mary.
Latest revision as of 16:13, 9 September 2019
The Chemistry Building was a temporary building at William & Mary built in 1923. It was located approximately on the site of the present Washington Hall, which is situated along the Sunken Garden between Ewell Hall and McGlothlin-Street Hall.
In 1923, recommendations were made to construct a temporary building for an additional class rooms, to be placed in the rear of the Citizenship Building so as to connect cheaply with existing steam pipes. Features included a large lecture room (seating for 200), separate laboratories for quantitative, qualitative, organic, physical/advanced/organic and freshman chemistry and one for minerology/chemical microscopy. A large stock room and skylights were also part of the building. The Chemistry Building was part of President J.A.C. Chandler's plans to upgrade the College's science facilities. A temporary shed was used until the Chemistry building was complete.
This building was torn down in November 1927. (Flat Hat 18 November 1927, p. 5)
- Pl979.584, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|