Cheerleading at William and Mary

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 13:19, 22 January 2009 by Smbookman (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Cheerleaders at the College of William and Mary were first used for home football games and has evolved over the years to include basketball as well. Over the years, there have been all-male, all-female, co-ed, and Freshman cheerleading squads at the College. The size of the squad has changed over time as well, from 3 in 1924 to 38 in 2008.


1924 - Cheerleaders were made into a permanent organization made up of 3 men: a Senior, a Junior, and a Sophomore

1926 - Women at the College were allowed to have their own section at home football games to cheer

1927 - The first women cheerleader made the squad


1938 - The first all-female squad debuted for William and Mary home football games.


1950 - The Pep Club was formed as a separate club from the cheerleaders

1958 - The first co-ed varsity cheering squad at William and Mary debuted


1961 - A Freshman squad made up of all women debuted


  • Flat Hat, 1/18/1924, pg. 1,8.
  • Flat Hat, 10/29/1926, pg. 1.
  • Flat Hat, 10/27/1927, pg. 3.
  • Flat Hat, 10/11/1938, pg. 1.
  • Flat Hat, 5/16/1950, pg. 12.
A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.