Difference between revisions of "Cheerleading at William and Mary"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
Cheerleaders at the [[College of William and Mary]] were first used for home football games and have evolved over the years to include other sports as well. Over the years, there have been all-male, all-female, co-ed, and Freshman cheerleading squads at the College. The size of the squad has changed over time as well, from 3 in 1924 to 38 in 2008.
+
Cheerleaders at the [[College of William and Mary]] were first used for home football games and have evolved over the years to include other sports as well. In the past 80 years, there have been all-male, all-female, co-ed, and Freshman cheerleading squads at the College. The size of the squad has changed over time as well, from 3 in 1924 to 38 in 2008.
  
 
==1920s==
 
==1920s==

Revision as of 10:00, 23 January 2009

Cheerleaders at the College of William and Mary were first used for home football games and have evolved over the years to include other sports as well. In the past 80 years, there have been all-male, all-female, co-ed, and Freshman cheerleading squads at the College. The size of the squad has changed over time as well, from 3 in 1924 to 38 in 2008.

1920s

1924 - Cheerleaders were deemed a permanent organization made up of 3 men: a Senior, a Junior, and a Sophomore

1926 - Women at the College were allowed to have their own section at home football games to cheer

1927 - The first women cheerleader made the squad

1930s

1938 - The first all-female squad debuted for William and Mary home football games.

1950s

1950 - The Pep Club was formed as a separate spirit club from the cheerleaders

1960s

1961 - A Freshman squad made up of all women debuted

References

  • Flat Hat, 1/18/1924, pg. 1,8.
  • Flat Hat, 10/29/1926, pg. 1.
  • Flat Hat, 10/27/1927, pg. 3.
  • Flat Hat, 10/11/1938, pg. 1.
  • Flat Hat, 5/16/1950, pg. 12.
  • Flat Hat, 9/29/1961, pg. 6.
A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.