Difference between revisions of "Charles Minnigerode"
m (Text replacement - "[[Category:College of William and Mary" to "[[Category:William & Mary")
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Minnigerode, Charles]][[Category:Archon done]][[Category:College Stub|Minnigerode, Charles]][[Category:
[[Category:Biographical Sketch|Minnigerode, Charles]][[Category:Archon done]][[Category:College Stub|Minnigerode, Charles]][[Category:William Mary Faculty and Staff|Minnigerode, Charles]][[Category:Board of Visitors|Minnigerode, Charles]]
Revision as of 15:51, 9 September 2019
Charles Frederick Ernest Minnigerode was imprisoned while a student at the University of Giessen in Germany because of his political activities. He emigrated to the United States in 1839 and was appointed Professor of Humanity at the College of William and Mary in 1842. He taught through 1848. he was friendly with the family of William and Mary Law Professor Nathaniel Beverley Tucker and at Christmas in 1842 presented the Tucker family with the German custom of decorating a tree, the first Christmas tree in Williamsburg, Virginia.
In 1847, Minnigerode became an Episcopal priest. After leaving William and Mary in 1848, he served several parishes before being called to St. Paul's Church in Richmond. During the Civil War, Jefferson Davis attended his church and the two men became friends. After the war, Minnegerode worked in various capacities for the Episcopal Church, serving on several councils. He served on the College of William and Mary's Board of Visitors from 1871 through 1893.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Charles Minnigerode in the SCRC database.
- Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary
- SCRC File.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|