Charles F. Marsh
Charles F. Marsh became the seventh president of Wofford College on September 1, 1958 and served until his retirement in 1968. A 1925 graduate of Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, he earned the Master of Arts from the University of Illinois in 1926, and the Ph.D. from Illinois in 1928. He was a faculty member at American University, and from 1930 to 1958, a professor of economics at the College of William and Mary. In his last six years at William and Mary, he was Dean of the Faculty. He was involved in civic affairs in Williamsburg, serving on several economic planning agencies. An active churchman, he was a member of several annual conference boards in the Virginia and South Carolina conferences and a member of the Methodist General Conference. Dr. Marsh also served as a member of the Methodist Commission on Church Union and as a member of the University Senate of the Methodist Church. Active in the affairs of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, he was a member of the SACS Executive Council at the time of the integration crisis at the University of Mississippi. Dr. Marsh retired from the presidency of Wofford in 1968, returning to Williamsburg to teach in the Graduate School at William and Mary.
Charles F. Marsh (Charles Franklin) in the SCRC database.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|