The Chapman House was located at 422 West Francis Street at the corner of South Boundary St. The two-story frame house was known to have been standing by 1861. In 1932, it was used as the Sigma Alpha Epsilon House and was owned by Anne T. Chapman. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation purchased the house in June 1954.
In 1955, the College of William and Mary began leasing the property on a year-to-year basis. Chapman Hall opened in 1955 as a student center with 3 lounges on the first floor and a girls' lounge, a meeting room, a public telephone room, and two offices on the second floor. The back living room on the first floor was used for TV, games, drink machines, and a record player. In 1959, Ted Hunnicut began broadcasting an experimental radio station from the cellar, the forerunner of WCWM. The Chapman House also served as the temporary Student Union building from 1955-1960. The building was demolished in 1960.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- The Flat Hat, 5/3/1955, p. 1
- Anne Chapman Papers, 65 C37, Box 13
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|