Chapman House

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 12:19, 18 December 2014 by Emotoo (talk | contribs) (References)

Jump to: navigation, search
Chapman House

Constructed: pre-1861

Dedicated: 1955

Named for: Ann Chapman

Demolished: 1960

Map it for me

The Chapman House was located at 422 West Francis Street at the corner of South Boundry St. The two-story frame house was known to have been standing by 1861. During the 1932 it was used as the Sigma Alpha Epsilon House. It was then owned by Anne T. Chapman. The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation purchased the house in June 1954.

In 1955 the College of William and Mary began leasing the property on a year-to-year basis. Chapman Hall opened in 1955 as a student center with 3 lounges on the first floor and a girls' lounge, a meeting room, a public telephone room, and two offices on the second floor. The back living room on the first floor was used for TV, games, drink machines, and a record player. In 1959 Ted Hunnicut began broadcasting an experimental radio station from the cellar - the forerunner of WCWM. The Chapman House also served as the temporary Student Union building from 1955-1960. The building was demolished in 1960.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center



Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.