Difference between revisions of "Chair of Anatomy and Medicine"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The '''Chair of Anatomy and Medicine''' was created at the December 4, 1779 meeting of the [[Board of Visitors]] of the [[College of William and Mary]] as a part of [[Thomas Jefferson]]'s reforms of the College. The purpose of Jefferson's reforms, as he recalled late in life, was to "amend the constitution of Wm & Mary College, to enlarge it's sphere of science, and to make it in fact a University." In order to acheive this goal, Jefferson and the [[Board of Visitors]] abolished the two chairs of divinity and the Grammar School, and in place established chairs in [[Marshall-Wythe School of Law|law and police]], [[Department of Modern Languages and Literatures|modern languages]], and anatomy and medicine.
+
#REDIRECT [[Medical Education at the College of William and Mary#Chair of Anatomy and Medicine]]
 
 
Dr. James McClurg served as the chair from 1779 until 1784, when he left the College to go into private practice. The vacancy of the chair was never filled. During the 1836-1837 session, the Board of Visitors wanted the Virginia General Assembly to provide funding for a medical school in Richmond, Virginia. The General Assembly, however, could not agree on either an affiliation with a school or the medical school's location, so they postponed the legislation indefinitely. 
 
 
 
==References==
 
*Godson, Susan H, et. al., ''The College of William and Mary: A History'', King and Queen Press, 1993. pg. 132, 133, 169, 173, 264.
 
 
 
{{helpmsg}}
 
{{infodisclaimer}}
 
[[Category:College Stub|Anatomy]][[Category:Ref|Anatomy]][[Category:College of William and Mary Academic Department|Anatomy]]
 

Latest revision as of 10:58, 25 July 2012