Brown Hall is located on the corner of Prince George Street and North Boundary Street. It was built in 1930 with funds left by Mrs. Edward Brown of Lynchburg under the supervision of trustees for the Board of Home Missions of the Women's Missionary Society of the Virginia Methodist Conference. Brown Hall was built with the intent to become an all-girls' dormitory that would house 78 girls. The dormitory was not restricted to Methodists. A reception room, living room, service kitchenette, and rooms for a matron and Bible teacher were included in the design of the building. Charles M. Robinson, the College architect, was the architect assigned to this project.
Brown Hall was purchased by the College of William and Mary in 1939. It also housed Army Specialized Training cadets in 1943. The AST unit left Brown Hall in March 1944 and the dormitory was rented to service men and families living in Williamsburg. Brown Hall served as housing for men in 1946, was converted for use by women and re-equipped and redecorated in 1951, but was re-converted for men during the 1958-1959 school session. It became a women's dormitory once more in 1967 and was renovated in 1974 with rewired rooms and kitchens installed on each floor.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007). Brown Hall. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia