Brown Hall is a dormitory located on the corner of Prince George Street and North Boundary Street.
The original Brown Hall was established in 1924 with funds from the Dyson estate and named in honor of the Browns, a prominent Methodist family. It accommodated 12-14 girls. In 1930 it was sold to the College of William and Mary and moved to a new site on Prince George Street (see Dudley Digges House)
A new Brown Hall was built in 1930 with funds left by Mrs. Edward Brown of Lynchburg under the supervision of trustees for the Board of Home Missions of the Women's Missionary Society of the Virginia Methodist Conference. Brown Hall was built as an all-girls' dormitory that would house 78 girls (not restricted to Methodists). A reception room, living room, service kitchenette, and rooms for a matron and Bible teacher were included in the design of the building. The designer was Charles M. Robinson, the College architect, and the contractor was J.W. Davis.
Brown Hall was purchased by the College of William and Mary in 1939. Beginning in 1943 it housed the Army Specialized Training cadets. The AST unit left Brown Hall in March 1944 and the dormitory was rented to service men and families living in Williamsburg. Brown Hall served as housing for men in 1946-1951, when it was re-equipped and redocorated to become a women's dorm again. It became a men's dorm in 1958 and a women's dorm again in 1967. It was renovated in 1974 when kitchens were installed on each floor and the rooms were rewired. It currently serves as a student dormitory. Beginning in 1988, Old Brown Hall (now Prince George House) housed the Military Science Department.
1928-29--P1979.091 and P1979.092 (white frame house shown in aerial photos. Later moved to 524 Prince George Street behind Sorority Court.
P1981.009 and P1981.010--aerial photos (building moved to 524 Price George Street in May 1970, next to Braxton House behind Sorority Court)
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Brown Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- Brown Hall, Residence Life, College of William and Mary.