Bozarth House

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 15:22, 24 July 2013 by Acschi (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
Bozarth House, circa 1932

Constructed: 1920-1924

Named for: J. Arthur Bozarth

Map it for me

The Bozarth House and Cottage at the College of William and Mary is located on the northwest corner of Richmond Road and Armistead Avenue (205 Richmond Road, and cottage at 126 Armistead Avenue). It was built between June 1920 and March 1924, according to dated aerial photos.

In 1932, the property of J. Arthur Bozarth was purchased for $19,000. Whole frontage on Armistead St., one house on Richmond Road and one on Prince George Street (Board of Visitors, December 11, p. 366); Nov. 28 consolidated land register) (deed book 15 1 281). In 1933-1937, it was the Pi Kappa Alpha House (1934 Colonial Echo; 1937 Colonial Echo). By 1981 it was previously used by the university physician. It accommodated 7 students, 5 women and men (all graduate students). Kitchen and dining area, double rooms. (Ginger Nobles to C. G. Walsh, April 22, 1981).

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • University Archives Buildings File (2007), Penniman Building, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • Colonial Echo, 1934, 1937.



Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.