Bookstore

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The College of William & Mary Bookstore is presently located at the corner of Duke of Gloucester and North Henry Streets, run by Barnes and Noble since 2001.

Bookstore, 2008

Year Built: 2001

Map it for me

Prior to this, it was located on Jamestown Road across from the Wren Building and next to the Campus Center, on the site of the former Morris House. In 2007, this building became home to the undergraduate Admission Office.[1]

History of the College Bookstore and Book Selling

  • 1914 - The College Bookstore sells pies, cakes and candy daily till 12 o'clock midnight.
  • circa 1921-1941 - Books sold in the College Shop (on D.O.G. Street, no connection with the College of William and Mary).
  • 1922-1923 - YWCA sponsored used book sale
  • 1942-circa 1950 - Books had previously been sold in the corner of the Dining Hall (Trinkle Hall).
  • 1953 - Books sold in room under Taliaferro.
  • circa 1958-1959 - Books sold in New Taliaferro Hall.
  • 1965 - contract for $205,600 to C.Y. Jolly Co., Newport News (BofV, p. 142): To be completed by late fall; opens December 10 (Flat Hat, 12/10/1965, 4).
  • 1981 - an addition onto the back of the building almost doubles the space for storage and additional offices.
  • 2001 - College Bookstore at the corner of Duke of Gloucester and North Henry Streets is operated by Barnes and Noble Bookstores.

References

The Flat Hat


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.