Barrett Hall

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Revision as of 11:02, 22 July 2008 by Sgam80 (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Barrett Hall is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive). It was named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors and Phi Beta Kappa. It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.


Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927 with an estimated cost of $212,000. The College had a contract with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia, and Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect, made the designs for the dormitory.

1926--under Noel Act, certificates on indebtedness issued for $400,000 to build two dormitories. Girl's dorm to be called Kate Waller Barrett Hall (BofV, March, p. 126).

  • Contract to J.T. Nuckols, Richmond (BofV, August, p. 144).
  • Charles M. Robinson, College architect.
  • Construction started (FH, 9/24/1926, 5.)

1927--12 bedrooms on first floor, 72 bedrooms on second and third floors, Parlor No. 1, first floor, east wing--17' x 30'; parlor No. 2, first floor, west wind, 17' x 30'; Literary Society Hall No. 1, first floor, east wing, 17' x 48'; YWCA and Student Government Room, first floor, west wing, 17' x 48'; student council office, first floor, west wing 17' x 17', reception room for guests, first floor, east side, 14' x 17'; 3 visitors' guest rooms, first floor 17' x 11'. Estimated cost, $212,000 (J.A.C. Chandler to W.A.R Goodwin, Jan. 5, 1927, Chandler Papers 1982.45, Budget--Barrett).

Barrett Hall under construction, 1927

Constructed: 1926-1927

Opened: 1927

Named for: Kate Waller Barrett

Map it for me


1928--J. Lesslie Hall Literary Society to have meeting room, 1927/28 (Flat Hat, 1/14/1927, 7).

1932--YWCA opens modern library in Y room, books rented for 3 cents per day (Flat Hat, 2/27/1931, 3).

1945--Chinese Room opened in west living room, presented by Mrs. Alice Aberdeen, displaying Chinese Art Objects (Flat Hat, 2/21/1945, 7).

March 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

September 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

1966--Brick wall surrounding entrance on corner Campus Drive and Jamestown Road torn down during Christmas recess (Flat Hat, 1/13/1967, 6).

1969--Chinese Room partitioned to ease housing overflow (Flat Hat, 9/12/1969, 3).


Various photographs in the University Archives Photograph Collection

1928--Colonial Echo, p. 20

1931--Colonial Echo, p. 17

1955--Colonial Echo, p. 233 (Chinese Room)

1972--Renovation, summer (Board of Visitors, Sept. 22-23, p. 400).


  • Barrett Hall, University Archives Buildings File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • The Flat Hat
  • "Buildings and Grounds--Barrett Hall," University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • Board of Visitors, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.