Difference between revisions of "Barrett Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (insert links)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Barrett Hall''' is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive).  It was named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors and Phi Beta Kappa.  It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.
+
'''Barrett Hall''' is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive).  It was named for [[Kate Waller Barrett]], a member of the [[Board of Visitors]] and Phi Beta Kappa.  It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.
  
 
Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927 with an estimated cost of $212,000.  The College had a contract with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia, and Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect, made the designs for the dormitory.
 
Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927 with an estimated cost of $212,000.  The College had a contract with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia, and Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect, made the designs for the dormitory.

Revision as of 20:01, 12 May 2007

Barrett Hall is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive). It was named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors and Phi Beta Kappa. It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.

Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927 with an estimated cost of $212,000. The College had a contract with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia, and Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect, made the designs for the dormitory.

1926--under Noel Act, certificates on indebtedness issued for $400,000 to build two dormitories. Girl's dorm to be called Kate Waller Barrett Hall (BofV, March, p. 126).

  • Contract to J.T. Nuckols, Richmond (BofV, August, p. 144).
  • Charles M. Robinson, College architect.
  • Construction started (FH, 9/24/1926, 5.)

1927--12 bedrooms on first floor, 72 bedrooms on second and third floors, Parlor No. 1, first floor, east wing--17' x 30'; parlor No. 2, first floor, west wind, 17' x 30'; Literary Society Hall No. 1, first floor, east wing, 17' x 48'; YWCA and Student Government Room, first floor, west wing, 17' x 48'; student council office, first floor, west wing 17' x 17', reception room for guests, first floor, east side, 14' x 17'; 3 visitors' guest rooms, first floor 17' x 11'. Estimated cost, $212,000 (J.A.C. Chandler to W.A.R Goodwin, Jan. 5, 1927, Chandler Papers 1982.45, Budget--Barrett).

1928--J. Lesslie Hall Literary Society to have meeting room, 1927/28 (FH, 1/14/1927, 7).

1932--YWCA opens modern library in Y room, books rented for 3 cents per day (FH, 2/27/1931, 3).

1945--Chinese Room opened in west living room, presented by Mrs. Alice Aberdeen, displaying Chinese Art Objects (FH, 2/21/1945, 7).

1966--Brick wall surrounding entrance on corner Campus Drive and Jamestown Road torn down during Christmas recess (FH, 1/13/1967, 6).

1969--Chinese Room partitioned to ease housing overflow (FH, 9/12/1969, 3).

PHOTOGRAPHS: 1928--Colonial Echo, p. 20 1931--Colonial Echo, p. 17 1955--Colonial Echo, p. 233 (Chinese Room) 1972--Renovation, summer (BofV, Sept. 22--23, p. 400).


References

University Archives Buildings File (2007). Barrett Hall. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia