Difference between revisions of "Barrett Hall"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Barrett Hall''', 313 Jamestown Road, is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive) at the [[College of William and Mary]].  It was named for [[Kate Waller Barrett]], a member of the [[Board of Visitors]]. It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.
+
'''Barrett Hall''', 313 Jamestown Road, is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive) at the [[College of William and Mary]].  It was named for [[Kate Waller Barrett]], a member of the [[Board of Visitors]] and the first building upon campus which was named for a woman. It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.
  
 
==Construction==
 
==Construction==

Revision as of 12:21, 15 December 2014

Barrett Hall, 313 Jamestown Road, is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive) at the College of William and Mary. It was named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors and the first building upon campus which was named for a woman. It was used as a women's dormitory until the start of the 2005-2006 school year, when it was converted to a co-ed dormitory.

Construction

Barrett Hall under construction, 1927

Built: 1926-1927

Opened: 1927

Named for: Kate Waller Barrett

Map it for me

Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927 with an estimated cost of $212,000. The College had a contract with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia, and Charles M. Robinson, the College Architect, made the designs for the dormitory.(Board of Visitors, August, p. 144) In 1926 under the Noel Act, certificates on indebtedness issued for $400,000 to build two dormitories. The women's dorm to be called Kate Waller Barrett Hall.(Board of Visitors, March, p. 126)(Flat Hat, 9/24/1926, p. 5.)

The building's layout in 1927: 12 bedrooms on first floor, 72 bedrooms on second and third floors, Parlor No. 1, first floor, east wing--17' x 30'; parlor No. 2, first floor, west wind, 17' x 30'; Literary Society Hall No. 1, first floor, east wing, 17' x 48'; YWCA and Student Government Room, first floor, west wing, 17' x 48'; student council office, first floor, west wing 17' x 17', reception room for guests, first floor, east side, 14' x 17'; 3 visitors' guest rooms, first floor 17' x 11'. Estimated cost, $212,000 (J.A.C. Chandler to W.A.R Goodwin, Jan. 5, 1927, Budget--Barrett Folder, Office of the President, J.A.C. Chandler Records, Special Collections Research Center).

Miscellaneous

1928--J. Lesslie Hall Literary Society to have meeting room, 1927/28 (Flat Hat, 1/14/1927, 7).

1932--YWCA opens modern library in Y room, books rented for 3 cents per day (Flat Hat, 2/27/1931, 3).

1945--Chinese Room opened in west living room, presented by Mrs. Alice Aberdeen, displaying Chinese Art Objects (Flat Hat, 2/21/1945, 7).

March 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

September 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

1966--Brick wall surrounding entrance on corner Campus Drive and Jamestown Road torn down during Christmas recess (Flat Hat, 1/13/1967, 6).

1969--Chinese Room partitioned to ease housing overflow (Flat Hat, 9/12/1969, 3).

Photographs

Various photographs in the University Archives Photograph Collection

1928--Colonial Echo, p. 20

1931--Colonial Echo, p. 17

1955--Colonial Echo, p. 233 (Chinese Room)

1972--Renovation, summer (Board of Visitors, Sept. 22-23, p. 400).

References

  • Barrett Hall, University Archives Buildings File, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • The Flat Hat
  • "Buildings and Grounds--Barrett Hall," University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • Board of Visitors, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.