Barrett Hall

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Barrett Hall, 313 Jamestown Road, is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive) at the College of William and Mary. Named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors from 1921-1925, it was the first building on campus named for a woman. Barrett Hall was used as a dormitory for women until becoming co-ed at the start of the 2005-2006 academic year.

Construction

Barrett Hall under construction, 1927

Built: 1926-1927

Opened: 1927

Named for: Kate Waller Barrett

Map it for me

Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927, with an estimated cost of $212,000. The College contracted with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia to carry out the designs of College Architect, Charles M. Robinson. [1] [2]

The building's layout in 1927: 12 bedrooms on first floor, 72 bedrooms on second and third floors, Parlor No. 1, first floor, east wing--17' x 30'; parlor No. 2, first floor, west wind, 17' x 30'; Literary Society Hall No. 1, first floor, east wing, 17' x 48'; YWCA and Student Government Room, first floor, west wing, 17' x 48'; student council office, first floor, west wing 17' x 17', reception room for guests, first floor, east side, 14' x 17'; 3 visitors' guest rooms, first floor 17' x 11'. Estimated cost, $212,000. [3]

Miscellaneous

1928--J. Lesslie Hall Literary Society to have meeting room, 1927/28 (Flat Hat, 1/14/1927, 7).

1932--YWCA opens modern library in Y room, books rented for 3 cents per day (Flat Hat, 2/27/1931, 3).

1945--Chinese Room opened in west living room, presented by Mrs. Alice Aberdeen, displaying Chinese Art Objects (Flat Hat, 2/21/1945, 7).

March 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

September 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

1966--Brick wall surrounding entrance on corner Campus Drive and Jamestown Road torn down during Christmas recess (Flat Hat, 1/13/1967, 6).

1969--Chinese Room partitioned to ease housing overflow (Flat Hat, 9/12/1969, 3).

Photographs

Various photographs in the University Archives Photograph Collection

1928--Colonial Echo, p. 20

1931--Colonial Echo, p. 17

1955--Colonial Echo, p. 233 (Chinese Room)

1972--Renovation, summer (Board of Visitors, Sept. 22-23, p. 400).

References

  • The Flat Hat
  • "Buildings and Grounds--Barrett Hall," University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
  • Board of Visitors Records, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.