Barksdale Field is located adjacent to Phi Beta Kappa Hall and William Barton Rogers Hall, at the corner of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive on the College of William and Mary Campus. Named for Martha Barksdale, long-time Physical Education Professor and member of the first class of women at the College, Barksdale Field was dedicated on October 10, 1975. Previously, the field was designed as women's athletics fields for hockey, soccer, track, and tennis in the 1930s. Over the years, the field has evolved into a venue for intramural football and soccer by students.
In 2004, the College began a plan to construct two residence halls on the site of Barksdale Field. Completed in 2006 at a cost of an estimated $29 million, the Jamestown Residences contain approximately 128,000 square feet of living space for students.
- University Archives Photograph Collection including: P1986.99 - Barksdale Field at the Dedication Ceremony in November 1975; P1987.393 - Construction equipment at field; P1988.68 - Spruce tree with field in background.
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Barksdale Athletic Fields, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- Plans for new women's field, Flat Hat, 25 April 1930, p. 7.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|