Difference between revisions of "Art Club"

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: In 1926, an Art Club was formed by chosen students of Dr. Julian Alvin Carroll Chandler at the College of William and Mary. Artistry was a passion of his. It was disbanded in 1948 by Dr....)
 
(cleanup, patroled)
Line 1: Line 1:
In 1926, an Art Club was formed by chosen students of Dr. Julian Alvin Carroll Chandler at the College of William and Mary. Artistry was a passion of his.  
+
In 1926, an Art Club was formed by chosen students of [[President]] [[Julian Alvin Carroll Chandler]] at the [[College of William and Mary]]. Artistry was a passion of his.  
  
It was disbanded in 1948 by Dr. John Edward Pomfret as "A damned waste of time in war-time" much to the students' dismay. Pompret's account of the conflict of views is detailed in a letter to his brother dated February 12, 1948. The transcribed letter is available in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Vol. 82 No. 1 (February 1948), p. 126-127.  
+
It was disbanded in 1948 by President [[John Edward Pomfret]] as "A damned waste of time in war-time" much to the students' dismay. Pomfret's account of the conflict of views is detailed in a letter to his brother dated February 12, 1948. The transcribed letter is available in ''The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography'' Vol. 82 No. 1 (February 1948), p. 126-127.  
  
 
Their work is still displayed (in art prints) across the college buildings.
 
Their work is still displayed (in art prints) across the college buildings.
 +
 +
==References==
 +
*''The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography'' Vol. 82 No. 1 (February 1948), p. 126-127.
 +
 +
==Need help?== 
 +
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
 +
 +
Questions? Contact the SCRC at [mailto:spcoll@wm.edu spcoll@wm.edu] or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
 +
 +
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
 +
|-
 +
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 +
|-
 +
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 +
|}
 +
 +
[[Category:Repair]][[Category:College Stub]][[Category:Students]]

Revision as of 10:05, 1 October 2009

In 1926, an Art Club was formed by chosen students of President Julian Alvin Carroll Chandler at the College of William and Mary. Artistry was a passion of his.

It was disbanded in 1948 by President John Edward Pomfret as "A damned waste of time in war-time" much to the students' dismay. Pomfret's account of the conflict of views is detailed in a letter to his brother dated February 12, 1948. The transcribed letter is available in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Vol. 82 No. 1 (February 1948), p. 126-127.

Their work is still displayed (in art prints) across the college buildings.

References

  • The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Vol. 82 No. 1 (February 1948), p. 126-127.

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.