Archibald F. Ward, Jr.
Archibald F. Ward, Jr. was born in Lumberton, North Carolina in 1912, received his Masters of Divinity from Crozer Theological Seminary in 1937 and moved to Williamsburg, Virginia in 1942. He was founder of the Citizens Association of Williamsburg, involved in the Magruder Neighborhood whose lands were being acquisitioned by Camp Peary, felt strongly about the treatment of African Americans, was Minister of the Williamsburg Baptist Church, and accepted a position as the first full-time chaplain at Eastern State Hospital.
- 1912: Born in Lumberton, North Carolina on January 18
- 1929: Graduated from high school in Lumberton, North Carolina
- 1933: Graduated from State College, later North Carolina State University, in Raleigh, North Carolina
- 1937: Graduated from Crozer Theological Seminary and became pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Towson, Maryland
- 1941: Preached Sermon, Curing that Feeling of Futility, at Crozer Theological Seminary vesper service on November 19
- May 1942: Became pastor of Williamsburg Baptist Church
- September 1942: Became involved in the Magruder Neighborhood over the U.S. Government's condemnation of 4500 acres for the construction of Camp Peary
- July 1944: Became president of the Williamsburg Rotary Club
- April 1945: Became Chairman of Recreation Committee
- November 1946: Helped found the Williamsburg Council of Churches
- June 1947: Received his PhD from the University of Maryland
- April 1948: Conducted Community Memorial Service for Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. at Williamsburg Baptist Church on April 11
- October 1949: Presided over the Platform for Democracy Program in Williamsburg, Virginia
- October 1949: Resigned as Chairman of the Citizens Association of Williamsburg
- June 1951: Received the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award from the College of William and Mary
- 1952: Joined the staff of Eastern State Hospital as Chaplain
- 2000: Died
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Archibald F. Ward, Jr. in the SCRC database.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|