The College of William and Mary During the War
Classes at the College of William and Mary were suspended when the British army invaded Virginia in January 1781. Classes resumed in the Fall of 1782.
Soldiers in Revolutionary War with Ties to the College of William and Mary
- President James Madison, Williamsburg, Virginia, Captain
- Granville Smith, Hanover County, Virginia, First Lieutenant
- William Nelson, Jr., York County, Virginia, Second Lieutenant
- Daniel Fitzhugh, King George County, Virginia, Ensign
- John Heath, Northumberland County, Virginia
- Thomas Smith, Gloucester County, Virginia
- Richard Booker, Amelia County, Virginia
- Armistead Smith, Gloucester County, Virginia
- John Jones, Dinwiddie County, Virginia
- John Stuart, King George County, Virginia
- Theodorick Fitzhugh, King George, Virginia
- Isaac Hite, Frederick County, Virginia
- William Short (1759-1849), Surry County, Virginia
- John Morrison, Prince George, Virginia
- George Braxton, King and Queen County, Virginia
- Henry Hill, King and Queen County, Virginia
- John White, King William County, Virginia
- Thomas Hall, Louisa County, Virginia
- John Page, Gloucester County, Virginia
- Booth Armistead, Elizabeth City County, Virginia
- John Briggs, Sussex County, Virginia
- Mann Page, Gloucester County, Virginia
- James Ramsey, Norfolk County, Virginia
- Johnson Tabb, Elizabeth City County, Virginia
- Carter Braxton, Jr. King and Queen County, Virginia
- Corbin Braxton, King and Queen County, Virginia
- Mordecai Gregory Cooke, Gloucester County, Virginia
- Henry Nicholson, York County, Virginia
- Several students who attended the Indian School fought in the Revolutionary War.
- And others unknown
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Revolutionary War material in the SCRC Collections Database.
- Early American History Resources in the SCRC.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|