The Alumni House, formerly known as the Bright House, is located at the intersection of Richmond Road and College Terrace near the north end of Zable Stadium.
It was built on land purchased from the College of William and Mary in 1847 by Samuel F. Bright. The College rented the house 1919-1920, and professors Grimes and Morton lived there in 1920. In 1923 the College purchased 274 acres of the Bright farm surrounding the building, but not the house itself. From 1925 to 1943, the building served as the Kappa Alpha fraternity house. The College purchased the house in 1946 and used it as a men's dormitory. The following year it was converted to faculty apartments.
In early February of 1972, the Alumni Society moved into two apartments in the Bright House. A campaign began in 1973 by the William and Mary Alumni Association to permanently move into the building, and a dedication ceremony took place October 11, 1973. Since then, the Alumni House has housed the Alumni Association's headquarters and its rooms are available to rent for special occasions, such as weddings, dinners, and formal dances.
University Archives Buildings File (2007). Alumni House. Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia