Alumni House

From Special Collections Wiki
Revision as of 14:39, 16 March 2015 by Emotoo (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Alumni House, 500 Richmond Road, formerly known as the Bright House, is located at the intersection of Richmond Road and College Terrace near the north end of Zable Stadium.

Alumni House before restoration

Constructed: circa 1850's

Rented by the college: 1919

Renovations:

Map it For Me

Historical Overview

The Alumni House was built on land purchased from the College of William and Mary in 1847 by Samuel F. Bright. The building itself had been constructed in an Italianate style, with a central tower, probably in the 1850's, as revealed in an watercolor by Robert Knox Sneden from his 1862 sketch (see Alumni Magazine Winter 2007 page 44). The College rented the house 1919-1920, and professors Grimes and Richard Lee Morton lived there in 1920. In 1923 the College purchased 274 acres of the Bright farm surrounding the building, but not the house itself. From 1925 to 1943, the building served as the Kappa Alpha fraternity house. The College purchased the house in 1946 and used it as a men's dormitory. The following year it was converted to faculty apartments.

In early February of 1972, the Alumni Society moved into two apartments in the Bright House. A campaign began in 1973 by the William and Mary Alumni Association to permanently move into the building, and a dedication ceremony took place October 11, 1973. Since then and after an addition to the building, the Alumni House has housed the Alumni Association's headquarters and its rooms are available to rent for special occasions, such as weddings, dinners, and formal dances.

[[image:G1332A1.jpg[thumb|left|Canada Geese ]] David Turner's bronze sculpture "Canada Geese" graces the Alumni House side garden bordering Richmond Rd.

Alumni House after renovation

Faculty Residents, Selected

1959 Donaldson, Birdena E. Dean of Women, Associate Professor of History Apt 4

1959 Hirsch, Abraham Associate Professor of Economics Apt 5

1959 Hunt Robert P. Assistant Dean of Admissions

1959 King Joan Carol Assistant Dean of Women Apt 2

1959 Lott Edril Assistant Professor of Secretarial Science

1959 Scammon Jean Instructor in Modern Languages Apt 1

1959 Wilkin Alma Associate Professor of Home Economics Apt 7

1960 Donaldson Birdena E. Dean of Women, Associate Professor of History Apt 4

1960 Hastings Russell T. Instructor in Fine Arts

1960 Hunt Robert P. Associate Dean of Admissions Apt 3

1960 Lott Edril Assistant Professor of Secretarial Science Apt 6

1960 Scammon Jean Instructor in Modern Languages Apt 1

1960 Vassylkivsky Eugenia Instructor in Modern Languages

1960 Wilkin Alma Associate Professor of Home Economics

1960 Woods Lucy Brooke Assistant Dean of Women Apt 2

1961 Donaldson Birdena E. Dean of Women, Associate Professor of History Apt 4

1961 Hastings Russell T. Instructor in Fine Arts

1961 Hunt Robert P. Dean of Admissions Apt 3

1961 Lott Edril Assistant Professor of Secretarial Science Apt 6

1961 Scammon Jean Assistant Professor in Modern Languages Apt 1

1961 Wilkin Alma Associate Professor of Home Economics

1961 Woods Lucy Brooke Assistant Dean of Women Apt 2

1962 Donaldson Birdena E. Dean of Women, Associate Professor of History Apt 4

1962 Hastings Russell T. Assistant Professor in Fine Arts

1962 Hunt Robert P. Dean of Admissions Apt 3

1962 Lott Edril Assistant Professor of Secretarial Science Apt 6

1962 Rucker Fran Mae Instructor in Women's Physical Education Apt 2

1962 Scammon Jean Assistant Professor in Modern Languages Apt 1

1962 Wilkin Alma Associate Professor of Home Economics

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

External Links

[1], corrected here. William and Mary - Alumni Association - Alumni House Information

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.