Difference between revisions of "Adair Hall"
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
[[Category:William Mary Buildings]][[Category:William Mary Athletics]]
Revision as of 15:41, 9 September 2019
The building was named for Cornelia Storrs Adair (1885-1962), a William and Mary student from 1921 to 1923, Phi Beta Kappa 1927, and the first woman recipient of the Alumni Medallion in 1934. She was also a teacher, the president of National Education Association in 1928, and a member of the Richmond Chapter of Virginia Society for Crippled Children and Adults in 1946.
Adair Hall houses an Olympic sized pool, lounge, gymnasium, dance studio, classrooms, and offices for both the Kinesiology Department and the Dance Program at the College of William and Mary. It was originally built as a women's physical education building. Construction began in 1961 and the dedication ceremony was held on November 15, 1963. During construction in 1962, a ditch on the women's athletic field for the sewerage line to Adair and Yates caved in. Construction worker Charles S. Taylor was killed and another worker was seriously injured.
- The following citations are for the student newspaper the Flat Hat: 9/21/1962, p. 13; 9/28/1962, p. 11 (pictures); 2/22/1963, p. 12; 5/17/1963, p. 15 (picture); 10/11/1963, 4A (picture); 11/8/1963, p. 2; 11/15/1963, 1 (picture).
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|