Adair Hall

From Special Collections Wiki
(Redirected from Adair Gymnasium)
Jump to: navigation, search

Adair Hall, 251 Ukrop Way, is located next to the parking garage at intersection of Ukrop Way (formerly Campus Drive) and Landrum Drive.

Adair Hair

Constructed: 1961-1963

Dedication: 1963

Renovations:

Named for: Cornelia Storrs Adair

Map it for me

The building was named for Cornelia Storrs Adair (1885-1962), a William and Mary student from 1921 to 1923, Phi Beta Kappa 1927, and the first woman recipient of the Alumni Medallion in 1934. She was also a teacher, the president of National Education Association in 1928, and a member of the Richmond Chapter of Virginia Society for Crippled Children and Adults in 1946.

Adair Hall houses an Olympic sized pool, lounge, gymnasium, dance studio, classrooms, and offices for both the Kinesiology Department and the Dance Program at the College of William and Mary. It was originally built as a women's physical education building. Construction began in 1961 and the dedication ceremony was held on November 15, 1963. During construction in 1962, a ditch on the women's athletic field for the sewerage line to Adair and Yates caved in. Construction worker Charles S. Taylor was killed and another worker was seriously injured.

References

  • The following citations are for the student newspaper the Flat Hat: 9/21/1962, p. 13; 9/28/1962, p. 11 (pictures); 2/22/1963, p. 12; 5/17/1963, p. 15 (picture); 10/11/1963, 4A (picture); 11/8/1963, p. 2; 11/15/1963, 1 (picture).

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.