Thomas Roderick Dew

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
(Redirected from Thomas Dew)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Thomas Roderick Dew

Thomas Roderick Dew, twelfth president of the College of William and Mary, was born to a wealthy tidewater plantation family on on December 5, 1802, the son of Thomas Dew and Lucy E. Gatewood Dew. Dew graduated from the College of William and Mary in 1820, and returned as a professor of history, metaphysics, and political economy in 1826. Dew gained national recognition as a pro-slavery advocate following the 1831 – 32 debates on slavery in the General Assembly. In his writing, particularly An Essay in Favor of Slavery, Dew rejected Enlightenment beliefs in human rights and equality while expanding on the civilizing effects of slavery.

After his election as president of the College in 1836, Dew stressed the increasing importance of studying politics and morals as a way for Southern students to respond to Northern attacks. With a pro-slavery president and legal scholar Nathaniel Beverley Tucker, the College of William and Mary became regarded as an intellectual bastion of the Southern world view. During his ten year tenure, President Dew oversaw a period of success for the college. While still struggling financially, the quality of the faculty rose significantly. A rise in tobacco prices corresponded with rising enrollment into the early 1840s. To combat chronic financial woes, the Board of Visitors and President Dew approached the state legislature for public funding and repayment of Revolutionary War debts. While political wrangling resulted in no real financial commitment, the state legislature severed William and Mary’s connection with Hampden-Sydney to establish the Medical College of Virginia. Presiding over the traditional “golden era” of the school, when questions of survival appeared answered; President Dew was widely popular on campus and in the community. In 1845, at age 43, Dew married Miss Natalia Hay, but died while on their honeymoon in Paris. He was buried in France. In 1939, his body was brought back to Virginia and he was entombed in the crypt under the Wren Building in March 1939. At an elaborate ceremony in April 1939, the President of the College praised Dew's life and work.

Thomas R. Dew published a number of works in his lifetime, including: “The Policy of Government (1829),” “An Essay in Favor of Slavery (1833),” “A Digest of the Laws, Customs, Manners, and Institutions of Ancient and Modern Nations (1853),” “Lectures on Usury,” “The Characteristic Difference of Man and Woman,” in addition to a number of other works. Thomas R. Dew was born on December 5, 1802, the son of Thomas Dew and Lucy E. Gatewood Dew. Dew graduated from William and Mary in 1820. He was appointed to teach political law in 1826 and in 1836 was made president of the college. He died in 1846, shortly after his marriage to Natalia Hay. A free-trader and a pro-slavery advocate, Dew's works included Lectures on the Restrictive System, Review of the Debate in the Virginia Legislature of 1831 and 1832 (later incorporated into the Pro-Slavery Argument) and Digests of Laws, Customs, Manners, and Institutions of the Ancient and Modern Nations.

Material in the SCRC

External Links

Abstract: Thomas Roderick Dew: Founder of the Positive Good Thesis by Erik S. Root, Ph. D Paper Presented for the Mid-West Political Science Association 65 th Annual Conference Panel: Social Movements and Political Change Chicago, Il. April 14, 2007.

Preceded by College of William and Mary President Succeeded by
Adam Empie

1827 - 1836

Thomas Roderick Dew

1836 - 1846

Robert Saunders Jr.

1847 - 1848

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.