The only known copy of the satirical newspaper The Owl was published in January 1854. It is the oldest student publication of the College of William and Mary in the holdings of the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library. It is one of many College of William and Mary publications. Information gathered by students in LCST 201 "Constructing the News" about some College publications including The Owl is available at the course Wiki.
Related Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- The Owl and 20th century news clippings about the publication.
|A note about the information in this wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|