The Colonial Echo, the student yearbook of the College of William and Mary, began publication in 1899. There were no volumes produced in 1900 or 1904. In addition to photographs of individual students, it includes information and photographs of student groups and activities, scenes of campus and the surrounding area, and occasionally administrators and faculty. It is one of many College of William and Mary publications.
The Colonial Echo is available via the W&M Digital Archive (1899-1995 only), in the Swem Library stacks, Swem Reference, and Special Collections Research Center in Swem Library.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- There are not many direct references to the yearbook in College of William and Mary office records (like the Dean of Students for instance), so users should search for indirect mentions like the Publications Council and Student Organizations too.
- Student Organizations Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, William & Mary.
- Colonial Echo Ledger, 1930-1931, University Archives Bound Volume Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, William & Mary.
- Claude Vernon Spratley, Transcript p. 16-18, University Archives Oral History Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, William & Mary.
- University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, William & Mary.
- Colonial Echo Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, William & Mary.
- SCRC Files
Are you an Alumnus searching for a copy of the Colonial Echo?
The Special Collections Research Center in Swem Library keeps multiple copies of the Colonial Echo for use by researchers and in exhibits as well as extra back-up copies in storage. For some years, Special Collections has a number of extra copies of yearbooks which have come to the department from a variety of sources - university offices reducing their own extra copies, alumni who are downsizing, families of alumni, and a dozen other ways. If you are searching for a copy of the yearbook from your William and Mary years, contact the University Archivist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090 to inquire if a copy is available.
For issues of the Colonial Echo from 1995 to the present, contact the Editor-in-Chief of the Colonial Echo at email@example.com or visit the yearbook's website.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|