Sixty-Seventh Field Hospital

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

During the European phase of World War II, U. S. Army Field Hospitals supported infantry divisions as they marched across Europe to Berlin after the D-Day invasion. The 67th Field Hospital, in support of the 9th Army, was one such unit.

In its support role, the 67th not only treated American military casualties, but civilians and enemy soldiers needing treatment as well.

Brief History of the 67th Field Hospital in World War II

The 67th Field Hospital was officially activated on March 20, 1944 at Camp Ellis in Illinois under the command of Major Benjamin B. Black, AMC. The unit adopted "To Conserve Fighting Strength" as its motto. Many of the members of the 67th were "washed-out, would-be pilots" relieved from further flight training, but given credit for ground service. Eighty-one came from the 60th College Training Detachment (Air Crew Training) stationed in Pittsburgh. Seventeen other non-commissioned officers and other enlisted men were assigned to the 67th from the 1879th Service Unit stationed at Camp Livingston, Louisiana. Still others came from San Antonio Cadet Training Center and a flight crew-training center at Oklahoma A&M University in Stillwater. On April 20, 1944, the newly formed unit began training to support battlefield surgery at The O'Reilly General Hospital in Springfield, MO. On D-Day (June 6, 1944), the unit was still in training there. On October 12, 1944, the 67th sailed for Liverpool, England from Boston aboard the troopship Wakefield, formerly the USS Manhattan. Upon arriving in Liverpool, they were transported across the English Channel and landed at Omaha Beach on October 25, 1944. The unit bivouacked near the village of Montebourg, on the Cherbourg Peninsula, before being assigned to the 9th Army preparing to move east across Europe towards Berlin. In its support of the 9th Army, at The Battle of the Bulge, the 67th set up field hospitals and treated the wounded in Hoepertingen Belgium, Valkenberg, Holland. The 67th crossed the Rhine River on March 25, 1946 and set up field hospitals at Suchteln, Beckum, Forderstedt and Rosche in Germany. Shortly after VE Day (May 7, 1945), the 67th treated casualties at Ludwigslust, Burg, Bremen, Arolsen, Bad Nueheim and Fulda in Germany. The advance of the 9th Army was ordered to stop short of entering Berlin, and assigned to eliminate the small pockets of resistance clearing the way for other units to enter the city. During March and April 1945, three units of the 67th were with 82nd Airborne when it liberated Wobbelin, a hard labor concentration camp located near an abandoned Luftwaffe Airdrome just north of Ludwigslust, Germany. They cared for more than 200 men and women rescued from the piles of many more who had been starved to death by the Nazis. They survivors were treated in aircraft hangar of a nearby Luftwaffe airfield that was converted into a hospital. The unit was partially disbanded with some members being redeployed back the States and others were assigned further duty at Bad Nueheim and Fulda with the 57th Field Hospital before being redeployed as a "carrier unit" , caring for the wounded on the way home, with the 20th Field Hospital. The 67th was decommissioned in June 1946. Years later, members of the unit met at a reunion and referred to themselves as "M*A*S*H '45."

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • Collection in the Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, William & Mary.
  • Unattributed internet webpages, accessed 2008.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.