SS William and Mary Victory
The SS William and Mary, was a Victory ship built during World War II by Bethlehem Steel, Fairfield Shipyard, Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland.
William and Mary Victory was part of the series of Victory ships named after educational institutions, in this case the College of William and Mary. Her design type was VC2-S-AP2/WSAT. Her Maritime Commission (MCV) hull number was 652 and her shipyard number was 1597.Ships by shipyard
The William and Mary Victory was lanched and christened on 20 April, 1945. Her sponsor was Miss Eleanor Harvey, the retiring president of the Women Students' Cooperative Government Association at the College of William and Mary and a member of the class of 1945. Naval Air Corps Lieutenant Robert Eastman, an alumnus of the College, pushed the button that released the ship into the water. Edie Harwood, incoming president of the Women Students' Cooperative Government Association, was Miss Harvey's maid of honor.
The christening bottle for the SS William and Mary Victory and a commemorative scrapbook, both gifts of Eleanor Harvey Rennie '45, are in the Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) in Swem Library at the College of William and Mary. An American flag that was flown on the ship is also available in the SCRC. The flag was a gift of Capt. James Hassell on May 2, 1946.
- Ships by shipyard
- "Harvey Christens W-M Victory Ship" The Flat Hat 25 April 1945, Volume XXXIV, No. 22, p. 2.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|