Rogers Hall is located on Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Road) across from Landrum Hall on the campus of the College of William and Mary. Construction of the building began on October 22, 1973 and was scheduled for completion on March 25, 1975. The building was constructed by Cocharan Construction Co. and designed by Wright, James, and Wilkerson Architects to house the Chemistry, Philosophy, and Religion Departments. Labs were set up and the building first used by August 25, 1975. William Barton Rogers Hall was dedicated at homecoming that year. Upon completion of this building, the building currently known as Tyler Hall was called Old Rogers Hall.
A lecture hall wing was built in 1979-1981. The William George Guy Lecture Hall was dedicated on April 24, 1981. The Religion Department moved into the first floor of Rogers Hall and the Philosophy Department moved out (to the Wren Building) the summer of 1980.
Rogers Hall was renovated in 2008 as part of the Integrated Science Center (ISC) construction and renovation project. It was completed in 2009 and houses the remainder of the biology and psychology departments. It is known as ISC 2.
"The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia" (1924) includes a proposal for the construction of the William Barton Rogers Science Hall to replace the Penniman Building. A sketch of the proposed building by architect Charles M. Robinson dated 1921 is included in the publication. That building is the present Tyler Hall (formerly Chancellors Hall) on the Sunken Garden.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- 1974-construction, Flat Hat, 9/7/1974, p. 17
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Rogers Hall, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," Endowment Association, 1924, p. 20-21.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|