Parking and Cars on Campus
As is the case on many college campuses, at William and Mary there are often issues surrounding parking and cars on campus.
The Parking Services unit manages parking enforcement and parking lots on campus.
In 2006, a new Parking Garage on Ukrop Way opened.
The purpose of motor vehicle regulations is to reduce traffic congestion, facilitate orderly parking, provide a safe campus environment and to promote the fair and consistent enforcement of rules. The Code of Virginia (S23-9.2:3) grants to the Board of Visitors the power to provide parking and traffic rules and regulations on property owned by the College and the District Courts require the Board of Visitors approval for local enforcement of motor vehicle regulations. The Board of Visitors has authorized the Office of Parking Services and the Campus Police to provide for the safety of persons on College property by enforcing these rules and regulations.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Dept. of Parking Services in the SCRC database.
- Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary
References in the The Flat Hat, William & Mary News, and Alumni Gazette:
- "Students should not have cars," feels Dr. Chandler FH, 2/2/1923, pg. 1.
- 10 mph speed limit suggested FH, 12/14/1923, pg. 4.
- Editorial: speed needs to be cut on Jamestown Road FH, 4/26/1929, pg. 4.
- Seniors permitted cars on campus FH, 9/12/1969, pg. 6.
- New regulations explained FH, 2/27/1970, pg. 3.
- Control Board recommends that juniors be allowed cars on campus FH, 5/21/1970, extra.
- Police note registration process FH, 9/24/1971, pg. 8.
- Control board resets registration fee to comply with wage-price freeze FH, 9/17/1971, pg. 1.
- Motor rules plague drivers seeking parking on, off campus FH, 11/12/1971, pg. 5.
- W&M selected for Pinto Rent-A-Car program CO, 12/17/1971, pg. 1.
- Control board tackles parking problems FH, 2/15/1974, pg. 3.
- Control board’s recommendation WMN, 4/30/1974, pg. 1; FH, 5/3/1974, pg. 1-2.
- Control board faces complex parking problems FH, 9/26/1975, pg. 3.
- Getting around FH, 8/25/1989, pg. 2.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|