Joseph Buchanan Bernardin

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Joseph Bernardin grew up in Kansas City, Missouri. He attended Yale University, Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Oxford University in England and the Theological School in Harvard University. He was an Episcopal Priest and also a member of the Army Chaplain Corps. He was the Assistant Minister and Minister-in-Charge at different parishes through the years, including Priest-in-Charge at All Saints Church in Nevada, Missouri and Trinity Church in Lamar, Missouri, Master at St. Mark�s School in Southborough, Massachusetts, Assistant at All Angels� Church in New York City, St. John�s Church and St. Luke�s Mission in Knoxville, Tennessee, Minister-in-Charge at St. Andrew�s Church in Maryville, Tennessee and Trinity Church, Gatlinburg, Tennessee and St. Francis of Assisi Church in Lake Placid, Florida. His first position was as Master at the Choir School and Assistant to the Dean of the Cathedral at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City. He resigned from this position amid controversy between Bishop William T. Manning who wanted to fire Bernardin for �insubordination� and �disobedience� and the Dean of the School, the Very Rev. Howard Chandler Robbins. In 1939 he was in charge of the American Church of the Ascension in Munich, Germany until October, and returned to this Church from 1959-1966. He retired to Williamsburg, Virginia in 1971 and moved to a retirement community in Virginia Beach in 1983. He never married.

Joseph Buchanan Bernardin in the SCRC database.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.