Henry St. George Tucker (1780-1848)

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Biographical Sketch

From the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (1774- Present). Henry St. George Tucker. Accessed March 8, 2017.

Henry St. George Tucker "(father of John Randolph Tucker, grandfather of Henry St. George Tucker [1853-1932], cousin of George Tucker, and nephew of Thomas Tudor Tucker), a Representative from Virginia; born in Williamsburg, Va., December 29, 1780; pursued classical studies; was graduated from the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Va., in 1798; later studied law under his father, St. George Tucker, and was graduated in 1801; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Winchester, Va.; captain of Cavalry in the War of 1812; elected as a Republican to the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Congresses (March 4, 1815-March 3, 1819); chairman, Committee on District of Columbia (Fourteenth Congress), Committee on Expenditures on Public Buildings (Fifteenth Congress); was not a candidate for renomination in 1818; member, State senate, 1819-1823; chancellor of the fourth judicial district of Virginia 1824-1831; maintained a private law school; president of the court of appeals of Virginia 1831-1841; professor of law at the University of Virginia at Charlottesville from 1841 to 1845, when he resigned; was the author in 1842 of the honor system for students adopted at the university; author of Tucker’s Commentaries and of a treatise on natural law and on the formation of the Constitution of the United States; died in Winchester, Va., August 28, 1848; interment in Mount Hebron Cemetery."

Materials in the Special Collection Research Center


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.