Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman (Firm)

From Special Collections Research Center Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The law office of Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman was first incorporated in 1952 with Vernon M. Geddy, Mary Inman, and Vernon M. Geddy, Jr. under the name Geddy & Geddy. They practiced law out of a building in Colonial Williamsburg. In 1960, Sidney J. Baker joined the firm which then became Geddy, Baker and Inman and operated out of a building at 137 York Street. In 1967, Stephen D. Harris, a graduate of the Marshall-Wythe School at the College of William and Mary, associated with the firm. When Mary Inman retired in 1970, the firm became Geddy, Baker & Harris. In 1973, Mr. Baker withdrew from the firm and Mr. Geddy, Jr. and Mr. Harris coninued with the firm of Geddy & Harris. In 1980, Geddy & Harris merged with the Richmond and Charlottesville firm of McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe, then consisting of approximately 45 attorneys. In 1982, Vernon M. Geddy, III, on graduation from the University of Virginia School of Law, became an associate with McGuire Woods. In 1991, Mr. Geddy, Jr., Mr. Harris and Mr. Geddy, III withdrew from McGuire Woods, then approximately 400 attorneys, and established the firm of Geddy, Harris & Geddy, which continued to practice at 137 York Street. In 1993, the firm relocated its practice to 516 South Henry Street across the street from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law. In 1993, Susanna B. Hickman, a graduate of the Marshall-Wythe School of Law, associated with the firm, and when Sheldon M. Franck joined the firm in 1999, the firm became Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman. In 2002, the firm relocated to its present office building at 1177 Jamestown Road. In 2003, Andrew M. Franck, a graduate of the Marshall-Wythe School of Law, and Richard H. Rizk, a graduate of the University of Richmond School of Law and former Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney for Williamsburg-James City County, associated with the firm and on January 1, 2007, both became partners of the firm. In 2012, Christine R. DeModna, a graduate of the Regent University School of Law, associated with the firm. The firm is presently constituted of Stephen D. Harris, Sheldon M. Franck, Vernon M. Geddy, III, Richard H. Rizk, and Andrew M. Franck, partners, and Christine R. DeModna, associate. It practices primarily in the jurisdictions of the city of Williamsburg and the counties of James City, York, Gloucester, Charles City, New Kent, King William and King & Queen from its location at 1177 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, Virginia. Stephen D. Harris June 10, 2013. Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman (Firm) in the SCRC database.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in William & Mary Libraries Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at William & Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.