Funding the College of William and Mary
In 1697, College of William and Mary President Rev. James Blair signed an agreement with the executors of the estate of the famous English scientist Robert Boyle, who bequeathed 5,400 pounds of his estate for "pious and charitable uses." The executors agreed to invest Boyle's money in a Yorkshire manor named Brafferton and to use its rents to pay William and Mary an annual sum of 90 pounds to support an Indian School. The building eventually constructed was named The Brafferton to mark the connection.
The Endowment Association was founded in 1939. The Association changed its name to The College of William and Mary Foundation on July 1, 2006.
Office of University Development
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- "So well endowed" : economic support of the College of William and Mary during the colonial period, Kristin A. Zech, Honors Thesis, LD6051 .W5m Hist., 2001, Z42 (does not circulate and is not available for interlibrary loan; contact the Special Collections Research Center for assistance).
- "So good a work" : the Brafferton school, 1691-1777, Karen A. Stuart, MA Thesis, 1984. Swem stacks, Archives book collections: LD6051 .W5m Hist., 1984, S78 (available for interlibrary loan requests).
- Indian School, University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- Brafferton Estate Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
- The College of William and Mary : a history, Susan H. Godson, et al, Williamsburg, Va. : King and Queen Press, Society of the Alumni, College of William and Mary in Virginia, c1993. Reference collection, Swem stacks, Archives books: Call number: LD6051 .W52 C65 1993
- Additional Books to use for College history research.
- To search for further material, see the SCRC Access Tools page.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|