William and Mary, 1755 to 1777.
In 1754 Jones was an usher of the college. He was appointed to hear boys recite a chapter in the Bible every school day at 12 o’clock. To receive a yearly salary of one pistole for each boy.
On June 26, 1761, Jones was appointed to the post of librarian. Jones, who had been master of the Indian school since 1755, remained at the college until 1777. In addition to serving as librarian, Jones acted as “Clerk to the Society”, that is, secretary of the faculty. The combination of these responsibilities continued in force at William and Mary well into the 19th century. As librarian, Jones received an annual salary of 10 pounds sterling; as “Clerk to the Society,” the sum of 6 pounds; and as master of the Indian school, approximately 60 pounds per annum.
Several entries in the Bursar’s accounts between 1764 and 1770 suggest that Jones also handled the distribution of college textbooks. This activity would have commenced in 1756 when the president and masters resolved that: "Mr. Em. Jones be appointed to sell those books which the college shall import – that he is not to stand to any loss – but sell them for seventy-five per cent: & be allowed ten percent: for his trouble in selling & collecting."
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|