The Chemistry Building was a temporary building at the College of William and Mary built in 1923. It was located approximately on the site of the present Washington Hall, which is situated along the Sunken Garden between Ewell Hall and McGlothlin-Street Hall.
In 1923, recommendations were made to construct a temporary building for an additional class rooms, to be placed in the rear of the Citizenship Building so as to connect cheaply with existing steam pipes. Features included a large lecture room (seating for 200), separate laboratories for quantitative, qualitative, organic, physical/advanced/organic and freshman chemistry and one for minerology/chemical microscopy. A large stock room and skylights were also part of the building. The Chemistry Building was part of President J.A.C. Chandler's plans to upgrade the College's science facilities. A temporary shed was used until the Chemistry building was complete.
This building was torn down in November 1927. (Flat Hat 18 November 1927, p. 5)
- Pl979.584, University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|