Wigwam

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Wigwam, 1950

Years of Operation: 1942-1986

Fire: 1982

Map it for me

The Wigwam or WigWam was located in the Campus Center (then known as Trinkle Hall) from about 1942 through 1986. The Wigwam served as a bookstore, soda shop and coffee shop. In the 1980s beer was sold during backgammon tournaments, musical performances, and movies on a wide screen.

In April 1963 the Wig Coffee Club had a gala opening with “dim lights, a hootenanny, a floor show and refreshments” (The Flat Hat, 04/19/1963, p.1). By October, 1974, the Wigwam was used mostly by faculty and alumni (The Flat Hat, 10/18/1974, p.4). In September 1976, “later hours, an expanded menu, and the sale of beer have been added to the operation of The Wigwam cafeteria in an effort to increase student use of the Campus Center facility” (The Flat Hat, 09/03/1976, p.15).

Also referred to as The Wig, it was “The Alternative Nightspot” in the 1980s for music and dancing and "happy hour." A small fire in November 1982 closed the ‘Wig” for a week. The ‘Wig’ closed in 1986. The Marketplace, a popular dining facility, opened in the Campus Center that year on September 15 and took up spaces formerly occupied by the Wigwam and Colony Rooms.

References


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.