W. Melville Jones

From Special Collections Wiki
Revision as of 12:16, 22 February 2010 by Kgardy (talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

A 43-year professor, administrator, and booster at the College of William and Mary, Dr. W. Melville Jones (1901-1992) joined the College's English faculty in 1928 after serving as an instructor at Ohio State University (1924-1925) and the University of Richmond (1925-1928). As a faculty member in the Department of English, Dr. Jones served first as an assistant professor and, after earning his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1953, was named full professor in 1954 and chancellor professor in 1963. Dr. Jone's career took on a new aspect in the last two decades of his employment at William and Mary, as he served as Dean of the Faculty from 1958 to 1964, and Dean of the College from 1964 to 1968. When Virginia recognized William and Mary as a full university in 1968, Dr. Jones became the Collegr's first vice president. His final position with the university was as Vice President of Academic Affairs. Upon his retirement in 1971, he was named Chancellor Professor of English, Emeritus. Dr. Jones was on leaves of absence in 1931-1932, Fall 1956, Spring 1957, and Fall 1957.

Professor Jones' portrait hangs in the Botetourt Gallery in Swem Library. A video tour of the gallery is available via YouTube.

W. Melville Jones in the SCRC database.

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.