Track and Field

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The earliest reference to an organized Track and Field team at the College of William and Mary can be found in the 1906 Colonial Echo yearbook. The 1905 and 1903 yearbooks mention a field day held at William & Mary, but no further information is provided. There is a handbill from a late 19th century field day competition for students at William and Mary in the Athletics Department Records in the Special Collections Research Center, but it appears to have been the sole competition of the year.

Women's track and field teams previously competed and practiced at Barksdale Field, but men's and women's teams now use Cary Field in Zable Stadium.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

References

  • Colonial Echo yearbook, 1906, 1905, 1903

Need help?

To search for further material, see Finding Materials in the SCRC for an introduction to the SCRC Collections Database, card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc.

Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary (hours).

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.