Difference between revisions of "Taliaferro Building"

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(References)
 
(3 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:Image unavailable copy.jpg |thumb|right|Taliaferro Building<p>Constructed: 1893-1894</p>
+
[[Image:B2079A4.jpg |thumb|right|Taliaferro Building<p>Constructed: 1893-1894</p>
<p>Renovations: 1914, 1932, 1936-1937</p><p>Demolished: 1967</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=A+William+and+Mary%2FCampus+Center&sll=37.269942,-76.708845&sspn=0.007377,0.013797&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=William+and+Mary%2FCampus+Center&ll=37.271662,-76.708839&spn=0.007803,0.013797&z=16 Map it for me]</p> Note: Location on map is approximate.]]
+
<p>Renovations: 1914, 1932, 1936-1937</p><p>Renamed: Fine Arts Building, 1937<p>Demolished: 1967</p><p>[http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=A+William+and+Mary%2FCampus+Center&sll=37.269942,-76.708845&sspn=0.007377,0.013797&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=William+and+Mary%2FCampus+Center&ll=37.271662,-76.708839&spn=0.007803,0.013797&z=16 Map it for me]</p> Note: Location on map is approximate.]]
The '''Taliaferro Building''' was located on Jamestown Road across the street from the [[Brafferton]].  Plans for its construction were accepted by the Board of Visitors in 1893 and the building was named in honor of Confederate General William B. Taliaferro in recognition of his service to the College.
+
The '''Taliaferro Building''' was located on Jamestown Road across the street from the [[Brafferton]] at the [[College of William and Mary]].  Plans for its construction were accepted by the Board of Visitors in 1893 and the building was named in honor of Confederate General [[William B. Taliaferro]] in recognition of his service to the College.
  
The building was constructed between 1893 and 1894 by E.W. Johnson of Newport News with Carpenter and Peebles of Norfolk as the architects.  The rooms of the second floor could be converted into suites of two rooms by means of partition doors.  An Alumni Banquet was held in the new Taliaferro Building on June 26, 1894.
+
The building was constructed between 1893 and 1894 by E.W. Johnson of Newport News with Carpenter and Peebles of Norfolk as the architects.  The rooms of the second floor could be converted into suites of two rooms by means of partition doors.  An [[Alumni]] Banquet was held in the new Taliaferro Building on June 26, 1894.
  
In 1905 the dining hall was moved to [[Ewell Hall]]. In 1914 the [[College of William and Mary]] received $5,300 from the Virginia legislature for improvement on the Taliaferro Building.  After running water was installed in each room and a bathroom was built in the basement, Tallfiero became a dormitory.
+
In 1905 the dining hall was moved to [[Ewell Hall]]. In 1914 the [[College of William and Mary]] received $5,300 from the Virginia legislature for improvements to the Taliaferro Building.  After running water was installed in each room and a bathroom was built in the basement, Tallfiero became a dormitory.
  
The building was once again renovated and used for administrative offices and the Music Department in 1932.  It also housed offices of the deans, the registrar, the treasurer, and the Flat Hat.  Administrative offices moved to Marshall-Wythe Hall (now known as [[James Blair Hall]]) in 1935 while the Music Department and student publications remained in the Taliaferro Building.
+
The building was once again renovated and used for administrative offices and the [[Music Department]] in 1932.  It also housed offices of the deans, the registrar, the treasurer, and the ''[[Flat Hat]]''.  Administrative offices moved to Marshall-Wythe Hall (now known as [[James Blair Hall]]) in 1935 while the Music Department and student publications remained in the Taliaferro Building.
  
The Taliaferro Building underwent extensive renovations between 1936 and 1937 to become the Fine Arts Building.  The first floor was used for sculpture and stage design.  The second floor housed a library, a print room, offices, and a theatre.  The third floor had a painting studip with a skylight forming most of the roof.  The Fine Arts Building was designed by Department Chair Leslie Cheek, Jr. Instructor Theodore Rust built a two-story fountain titled, "Art is Long, Life is Short." The stairs wound around the glass-enclosed fountain with water running from the top through various levels and ending in a fish pool on the first floor. The building was opened with a reception on February 27, 1937.[http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/issues/fh19370223.pdf]
+
The Taliaferro Building underwent extensive renovations between 1936 and 1937 to become the Fine Arts Building.  The first floor was used for sculpture and stage design.  The second floor housed a library, a print room, offices, and a theatre.  The third floor had a painting studio with a skylight forming most of the roof.  The Fine Arts Building was designed by Department Chair [[Leslie Cheek]], Jr. Instructor Theodore Rust built a two-story fountain titled, "Art is Long, Life is Short." The stairs wound around the glass-enclosed fountain with water running from the top through various levels and ending in a fish pool on the first floor. The building was opened with a reception on February 27, 1937.[http://swem.wm.edu/beta/flathat/issues/fh19370223.pdf]
  
 
The Taliaferro Building was torn down in 1967.
 
The Taliaferro Building was torn down in 1967.
  
==References==
 
*University Archives Buildings File (2007), ''Taliaferro Building'', Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
 
  
==Need help?== 
 
To search for further material, see [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm Finding Materials in the SCRC] for an introduction to the [http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/ SCRC Collections Database], card catalogs, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, etc. 
 
  
Questions? Contact the SCRC at spcoll@wm.edu or 221-3090, or visit the [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/ Special Collections Research Center] in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary ([http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc hours]).
+
{{helpmsg}}
 +
{{infodisclaimer}}
  
{| border="1" class="wikitable" style="margin: 1em auto 1em auto"
+
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]][[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings Past]]
|-
 
! style="background:#228844" |A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
 
|-
 
| |Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's [http://swem.wm.edu/scrc/Tools.cfm access tools] for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.
 
|}
 
 
 
[[Category:College of William and Mary Buildings]]
 

Latest revision as of 12:17, 18 December 2014

Taliaferro Building

Constructed: 1893-1894

Renovations: 1914, 1932, 1936-1937

Renamed: Fine Arts Building, 1937<p>Demolished: 1967

Map it for me

Note: Location on map is approximate.

The Taliaferro Building was located on Jamestown Road across the street from the Brafferton at the College of William and Mary. Plans for its construction were accepted by the Board of Visitors in 1893 and the building was named in honor of Confederate General William B. Taliaferro in recognition of his service to the College.

The building was constructed between 1893 and 1894 by E.W. Johnson of Newport News with Carpenter and Peebles of Norfolk as the architects. The rooms of the second floor could be converted into suites of two rooms by means of partition doors. An Alumni Banquet was held in the new Taliaferro Building on June 26, 1894.

In 1905 the dining hall was moved to Ewell Hall. In 1914 the College of William and Mary received $5,300 from the Virginia legislature for improvements to the Taliaferro Building. After running water was installed in each room and a bathroom was built in the basement, Tallfiero became a dormitory.

The building was once again renovated and used for administrative offices and the Music Department in 1932. It also housed offices of the deans, the registrar, the treasurer, and the Flat Hat. Administrative offices moved to Marshall-Wythe Hall (now known as James Blair Hall) in 1935 while the Music Department and student publications remained in the Taliaferro Building.

The Taliaferro Building underwent extensive renovations between 1936 and 1937 to become the Fine Arts Building. The first floor was used for sculpture and stage design. The second floor housed a library, a print room, offices, and a theatre. The third floor had a painting studio with a skylight forming most of the roof. The Fine Arts Building was designed by Department Chair Leslie Cheek, Jr. Instructor Theodore Rust built a two-story fountain titled, "Art is Long, Life is Short." The stairs wound around the glass-enclosed fountain with water running from the top through various levels and ending in a fish pool on the first floor. The building was opened with a reception on February 27, 1937.[1]

The Taliaferro Building was torn down in 1967.


Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.