Difference between revisions of "Special Collections Research Center"

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: = Special Collections Research Center = The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) of the Earl Gregg Swem Library of the College of William and Mary in Virginia defines and enhances th...)
 
(Rare Books)
 
(35 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
= Special Collections Research Center =
+
[[image:SCRC entrance.jpg|right|thumb|300x300px| Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library]]
The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) of the Earl Gregg Swem Library of the College of William and Mary in Virginia defines and enhances the history of the University and promotes and preserves the scholarly pursuits of its faculty, students, alumni, visiting scholars, and friends. The SCRC contributes to the excellence of our scholarly reputation by providing the College with the rare books and unique manuscript and archival materials that make primary research possible. Additional information is available at the [http://www.swem.wm.edu/departments/special-collections/ SCRC's website].  
+
The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) of the [[Earl Gregg Swem Library]] of the [[College of William and Mary]] in Virginia defines and enhances the history of the University and promotes and preserves the scholarly pursuits of its faculty, students, alumni, visiting scholars, and friends. The SCRC contributes to the excellence of our scholarly reputation by providing the College with the rare books and unique manuscript and archival materials that make primary research possible. Additional information is available at the [http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc/index.cfm SCRC's website].
 
 
  
 +
The SCRC holds over 40,000 books in the Rare Books and Archives Books collections and 1,000 collections in the University Archives and Manuscripts Collections. It has a total of 24,140 linear feet of shelving in its main storage area (Pav. B: 10,143; TC: 204; Pav. A: 13,793).
  
 
== Manuscripts ==
 
== Manuscripts ==
The mission of the Manuscripts area of Special Collections is to provide primary source material for the College of William and Mary faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, and visiting scholars and researchers.
+
[[image:SCRC Reading Room.jpg|right|thumb|300x300px| Reading Room, Special Collections Research Center]]
 
 
 
The Manuscripts Collections are primarily focused on Virginia history from the 17th to the 21st centuries. They include the papers of many famous alumni and individuals who have shaped the course of Virginia and the nation. Among them are:
 
The Manuscripts Collections are primarily focused on Virginia history from the 17th to the 21st centuries. They include the papers of many famous alumni and individuals who have shaped the course of Virginia and the nation. Among them are:
 
* Virginia Family Papers including the Blows, the Galts, the Taliaferros, the Tylers, the Blairs, the Robbs, the Carters, and the Armisteads
 
* Virginia Family Papers including the Blows, the Galts, the Taliaferros, the Tylers, the Blairs, the Robbs, the Carters, and the Armisteads
* The Tucker - Coleman Collection
+
* The [[Tucker-Coleman Collection]]
 
* Local History and Genealogy Collections including the Williamsburg Historic Records Association and the Tyree Collection
 
* Local History and Genealogy Collections including the Williamsburg Historic Records Association and the Tyree Collection
* Distinguished Alumni Papers that include those of Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Marshall, and John Tyler
+
* Distinguished Alumni Papers that include those of [[Thomas Jefferson]], [[James Monroe]], [[John Marshall]], and [[John Tyler]]
* Twentieth Century Political Papers including those of Governor Mills E. Godwin and Governor and Congressman William Munford Tuck
+
* Twentieth Century Political Papers including those of Governor [[Mills E. Godwin]] and Governor and Congressman [[William Munford Tuck]]
 
* Business Papers including 18th and 19th century account books
 
* Business Papers including 18th and 19th century account books
 
* Sheet Music from the late 18th, 19th and 20th centuries
 
* Sheet Music from the late 18th, 19th and 20th centuries
 
* Newspapers numbering over 750 titles mainly Virginian
 
* Newspapers numbering over 750 titles mainly Virginian
* Maps including the famed "Frenchman's Map" of Williamsburg in 1782
+
* Maps including the famed "[[Frenchman's Map]]" of Williamsburg in 1782
 
* Artifacts
 
* Artifacts
* Military Papers including those of Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston and colonial Colonel Leven Powell of Loudon County
+
* Military Papers including those of Confederate General [[Joseph E. Johnston]] and colonial Colonel [[Leven Powell]] of Loudon County
 
 
----
 
  
 
== Rare Books ==
 
== Rare Books ==
 
The Rare Books Collection is a vital, growing collection that provides research opportunities in many areas of western thought and experience from history to religion and science to art. Like the Manuscript Collections the Rare Books Collection focuses primarily on Virginia history but includes collections that cover many other areas and interests that span the 15th through the 21st centuries.
 
The Rare Books Collection is a vital, growing collection that provides research opportunities in many areas of western thought and experience from history to religion and science to art. Like the Manuscript Collections the Rare Books Collection focuses primarily on Virginia history but includes collections that cover many other areas and interests that span the 15th through the 21st centuries.
 
+
[[image:SCRC gallery.jpg|right|thumb|300x300px| Class of 1948 Rare Book Gallery, Special Collections Research Center]]
 
The Rare Books Collection is actually made up of many distinct collections which each focus on a particular subject area or a particular period in the history of the book. These libraries include:
 
The Rare Books Collection is actually made up of many distinct collections which each focus on a particular subject area or a particular period in the history of the book. These libraries include:
 
* The general rare books collection which focuses mainly on Virginiana but contains books on historic gardening, military history, early American culture, travel accounts, science and medicine. There are seven beautiful incunabula (books printed before 1501) in the collection.
 
* The general rare books collection which focuses mainly on Virginiana but contains books on historic gardening, military history, early American culture, travel accounts, science and medicine. There are seven beautiful incunabula (books printed before 1501) in the collection.
* There are five family libraries in amongst the Rare Books. These are the Skipwith library, the Tucker - Coleman library, the Jerdone Library, the John Minson Galt library, and the John Millington Library. They all date from the 18th and19th centuries.
+
* There are five family libraries in amongst the Rare Books. These are the Skipwith library, the Tucker - Coleman library, the Jerdone Library, the [[John Minson Galt]] library, and the John Millington Library. They all date from the 18th and 19th centuries.
 
* The Francis Nicholson Library is in the process of being acquired by Special Collections. It is our goal to recreate the original library of the College of William and Mary given by the colonial governor before the 1705 fire destroyed all but the single volume we have left. We now have more than 80 of the original 150 titles in the library.
 
* The Francis Nicholson Library is in the process of being acquired by Special Collections. It is our goal to recreate the original library of the College of William and Mary given by the colonial governor before the 1705 fire destroyed all but the single volume we have left. We now have more than 80 of the original 150 titles in the library.
 
* The Ralph Green collection on printing and the Joseph Hennage collection on printing and the Carol Beinbrink collection on papermaking total more than 1400 volumes on the history of the book as an object and includes our oldest title the Quadragesimale by Johannes Gritsch printed in 1479.
 
* The Ralph Green collection on printing and the Joseph Hennage collection on printing and the Carol Beinbrink collection on papermaking total more than 1400 volumes on the history of the book as an object and includes our oldest title the Quadragesimale by Johannes Gritsch printed in 1479.
 
* The Ralph H. Wark Collection of fore-edge paintings. Fore-edge paintings are painted on the edges of the leaves of a book so that they can only be seen when the edges are fanned. Exquisitely rendered paintings like this date almost entirely from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth centuries in England.
 
* The Ralph H. Wark Collection of fore-edge paintings. Fore-edge paintings are painted on the edges of the leaves of a book so that they can only be seen when the edges are fanned. Exquisitely rendered paintings like this date almost entirely from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth centuries in England.
* The Chapin-Horowitz collection of cynogetica. This is the second largest collection of books about dogs in this country and continues to grow through its own endowment. It contains scholarly work that dates back to the sixteenth century as well as children's literature, breed guides, and the records of the American Kennel Club.
+
* The [[Chapin-Horowitz Collection]] of cynogetica. This is the second largest collection of books about dogs in this country and continues to grow through its own endowment. It contains scholarly work that dates back to the sixteenth century as well as children's literature, breed guides, and the records of the American Kennel Club.
 +
 
 +
== University Archives ==
 +
The [[University Archives]] is the memory of the [[College of William and Mary]], documenting its history from before the founding in [[1693]] to the present. The wide variety of materials relating to the College and its people through the years includes official records created in the College's daily operations, photographs, publications, video and audio tape recordings, personal papers and books or articles written by or about past or current William and Mary people, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, and artifacts. Additional information is available at the [http://www.swem.wm.edu/scrc/UniversityArchives.cfm University Archives] webpage.
  
----
 
  
== University Archives ==
+
== Warren E. Burger Collection ==
The University Archives is the memory of the College of William and Mary, documenting its history from before the founding in 1693 to the present. The wide variety of materials relating to the College and its people through the years includes official records created in the College's daily operations, photographs, publications, video and audio tape recordings, personal papers and books or articles written by or about past or current William and Mary people, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, and artifacts.
+
 
 +
[[image:Burger Office.jpg|right|thumb|300x300px| Warren E. Burger Office Exhibit, Special Collections Research Center]]
  
Time has taken its toll on the records of the College. The [[Wren Building]], the main campus building, burned in 1705, 1859, and 1862, destroying many of the original records. Occupation of the Wren Building by military units during the American Revolution and the Civil War also did significant damage to the records. There is, however, still a wealth of information on all eras of William and Mary's history. Late nineteenth and twentieth-century materials comprise the bulk of the Archives collection, although a number of earlier documents do still exist. From 1888 on, most of William and Mary's vital records are intact and available, either in paper copy or on microfilm.  
+
The [[Warren E. Burger Collection]] consists of the lifetime professional and personal papers and memorabilia of the late Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, as well as of related acquisitions, collected by the College.
  
=== About the College of William and Mary ===
 
  
  
----
 
  
== Warren E. Burger Collection ==
 
The Warren E. Burger Collection consists of the lifetime professional and personal papers and memorabilia of the late Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, as well as of related acquisitions, collected by the College.
 
  
The Warren E. Burger papers were given to the College of William and Mary by his son, Wade A. Burger in 1996. Warren Burger served as the 20th chancellor of the College of William and Mary from 1986-1993, and the College is honored to serve as the permanent home of the papers of one of the most influential legal figures of this century, whose papers will become an immeasurable resource for future historians and legal scholars. NOTE: In accordance with the donor agreement, the Warren E. Burger Papers will be closed to researchers until 2026.
+
==Tucker-Coleman Room==
 +
Highlights of the Tucker-Coleman Room in the Special Collections Research Center include:
 +
*[[St. George Tucker]] (1752-1827), Professor of Law, Lawyer, poet portrait on back wall
 +
*Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1784-1851), Lawyer, portrait left of doors
 +
*George Preston Coleman (1870-1948), Commissioner of Highways, Civil Engineer, Mayor of Williamsburg (1929-1934); Coleman Bridge (Gloucester Point -Yorktown) named after him, portrait right of doors
  
Warren E. Burger (1907-1995) grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota, where he attended the University of Minnesota and then the St. Paul College of Law as a night student while working full time during the day. After graduating magna cum laude in 1931, he joined the firm Boyeson, Otis, Brill & Faricy St. Paul, becoming a partner in 1933. His participation in Harold Stassen's campaign for the Republican presidential nomination in 1952 led to his becoming Assistant Attorney General, Civil Division, in the United States Department of Justice under the Eisenhower administration. He served as a judge for the Federal Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, from 1956-1969. In May 1969, President Nixon appointed him Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and his nomination was confirmed by an overwhelming margin in June. During his seventeen years as Chief Justice, he not only presided over the Court's many historic decisions but also worked tirelessly to improve the way the judiciary functions and how justice is administered throughout the nation's courts. In 1986, he resigned from the Supreme Court to devote his time and energy to serving as chairman of the Commission on the Bicentennial of the United States Constitution. All these facets of Warren E. Burger's career are well represented in the approximately 1,200 cubic feet of papers, 1,500 photographs and more than 300 artifacts in custody of the College of William and Mary.
+
==Portraits in the Special Collections Research Center==
 +
''Note: Some portraits in the SCRC are in areas requiring a staff escort, so advance notice of a visit is requested. SCRC staff is usually able to accommodate requests to view portraits from drop-in visitors, but instances when there is an event, short-staffing, or other circumstance in the SCRC may impact immediate availability (for instance, a Saturday visitor may have to wait to be escorted to a restricted area while we are assisting a researcher). We make every effort to meet the requests of visitors, but calling ahead is also appreciated when possible.''
  
----
+
Portraits that can be viewed in the Special Collections Research Center include:
 +
*[[St. George Tucker]] (1752-1827), Professor of Law, Lawyer, poet; portrait on back wall of the Tucker Coleman Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*[[Nathaniel Beverley Tucker]] (1784-1851), Lawyer, portrait left of doors in the Tucker Coleman Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*[[George Preston Coleman]] (1870-1948), Commissioner of Highways, Civil Engineer, Mayor of Williamsburg (1929-1934); Coleman Bridge (Gloucester Point -Yorktown) named after him, portrait right of doors in the Tucker Coleman Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*[[Cynthia Beverly Tucker Washington Coleman]] (1832-1908); founder of the APVA ([[Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities]]), portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort). The portrait was received in December 2004. It hung for many years in the Tucker house while Dr. Janet Coleman Kimbrough lived in the house. She was the last Tucker descendant to live in the house.
 +
*[[Peter Chapin]], For whom the collection of Dog Books is named, by E.L. Swan, portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
 +
*[[William Barton Rogers]] (1804-1882), William and Mary [[student]], 1819-1821; Professor of [[Natural Philosophy]] and [[Chemistry]], 1828-1835; Founder and first president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.), by Bethuel Moore. Gift of James Stewart Bryan. Portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
 +
*[[Robert Gilchrist Robb]] (1875-1951), William and Mary student, 1891-1893; Professor of Chemistry, 1918-1946; Alumni Medallion Recipient, by H. Ledyard Towle in 1958. Gift of friends and students. Portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
 +
*[[John Marshall]], photo reproduction of an oil on campus dating circa 1834, by John Blennerhassett Martin (1797-1857), in Burger Office (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
 +
*[[Warren Burger]], photo reproduction of an oil on campus dating circa 1969, by Birney Lettick (1919-1986), published in ''Time Magazine'' May 30, 1969, in Burger Office (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
 +
*Richard Channing Moor Page, M.D., Born in Gloucester County, Virginia in 1840, Died in New York on June 18, 1898, by Charles H. Sherman, in Burger Conference Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*Louise Rowe Pullen, by Stanislav Rembski, in Burger Conference Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*Thomas Granville Pullen, Jr., by Stanislav Rembski, in Burger Conference Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*[[A. Willis Robertson]], photograph, Virginia State Senate, 1916-1922; U.S. House of Representatives, 1932-1946; U.S. Senate, 1946-1966; Chairman of the Committee on Banking and Currency, 1959-1966, on SCRC 2nd Floor (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
 +
*[[Robert Morton Hughes]] (1855-1940), Class of 1873; member, Board of Visitors, 1893-1918; Rector, 1905-1918; founder of the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship. Portait, oil on canvas by Joseph M. Reeves, in SCRC Classroom (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).

Latest revision as of 16:01, 28 September 2011

Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library

The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) of the Earl Gregg Swem Library of the College of William and Mary in Virginia defines and enhances the history of the University and promotes and preserves the scholarly pursuits of its faculty, students, alumni, visiting scholars, and friends. The SCRC contributes to the excellence of our scholarly reputation by providing the College with the rare books and unique manuscript and archival materials that make primary research possible. Additional information is available at the SCRC's website.

The SCRC holds over 40,000 books in the Rare Books and Archives Books collections and 1,000 collections in the University Archives and Manuscripts Collections. It has a total of 24,140 linear feet of shelving in its main storage area (Pav. B: 10,143; TC: 204; Pav. A: 13,793).

Manuscripts

Reading Room, Special Collections Research Center

The Manuscripts Collections are primarily focused on Virginia history from the 17th to the 21st centuries. They include the papers of many famous alumni and individuals who have shaped the course of Virginia and the nation. Among them are:

  • Virginia Family Papers including the Blows, the Galts, the Taliaferros, the Tylers, the Blairs, the Robbs, the Carters, and the Armisteads
  • The Tucker-Coleman Collection
  • Local History and Genealogy Collections including the Williamsburg Historic Records Association and the Tyree Collection
  • Distinguished Alumni Papers that include those of Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Marshall, and John Tyler
  • Twentieth Century Political Papers including those of Governor Mills E. Godwin and Governor and Congressman William Munford Tuck
  • Business Papers including 18th and 19th century account books
  • Sheet Music from the late 18th, 19th and 20th centuries
  • Newspapers numbering over 750 titles mainly Virginian
  • Maps including the famed "Frenchman's Map" of Williamsburg in 1782
  • Artifacts
  • Military Papers including those of Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston and colonial Colonel Leven Powell of Loudon County

Rare Books

The Rare Books Collection is a vital, growing collection that provides research opportunities in many areas of western thought and experience from history to religion and science to art. Like the Manuscript Collections the Rare Books Collection focuses primarily on Virginia history but includes collections that cover many other areas and interests that span the 15th through the 21st centuries.

Class of 1948 Rare Book Gallery, Special Collections Research Center

The Rare Books Collection is actually made up of many distinct collections which each focus on a particular subject area or a particular period in the history of the book. These libraries include:

  • The general rare books collection which focuses mainly on Virginiana but contains books on historic gardening, military history, early American culture, travel accounts, science and medicine. There are seven beautiful incunabula (books printed before 1501) in the collection.
  • There are five family libraries in amongst the Rare Books. These are the Skipwith library, the Tucker - Coleman library, the Jerdone Library, the John Minson Galt library, and the John Millington Library. They all date from the 18th and 19th centuries.
  • The Francis Nicholson Library is in the process of being acquired by Special Collections. It is our goal to recreate the original library of the College of William and Mary given by the colonial governor before the 1705 fire destroyed all but the single volume we have left. We now have more than 80 of the original 150 titles in the library.
  • The Ralph Green collection on printing and the Joseph Hennage collection on printing and the Carol Beinbrink collection on papermaking total more than 1400 volumes on the history of the book as an object and includes our oldest title the Quadragesimale by Johannes Gritsch printed in 1479.
  • The Ralph H. Wark Collection of fore-edge paintings. Fore-edge paintings are painted on the edges of the leaves of a book so that they can only be seen when the edges are fanned. Exquisitely rendered paintings like this date almost entirely from the late eighteenth to the late nineteenth centuries in England.
  • The Chapin-Horowitz Collection of cynogetica. This is the second largest collection of books about dogs in this country and continues to grow through its own endowment. It contains scholarly work that dates back to the sixteenth century as well as children's literature, breed guides, and the records of the American Kennel Club.

University Archives

The University Archives is the memory of the College of William and Mary, documenting its history from before the founding in 1693 to the present. The wide variety of materials relating to the College and its people through the years includes official records created in the College's daily operations, photographs, publications, video and audio tape recordings, personal papers and books or articles written by or about past or current William and Mary people, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, and artifacts. Additional information is available at the University Archives webpage.


Warren E. Burger Collection

Warren E. Burger Office Exhibit, Special Collections Research Center

The Warren E. Burger Collection consists of the lifetime professional and personal papers and memorabilia of the late Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, as well as of related acquisitions, collected by the College.



Tucker-Coleman Room

Highlights of the Tucker-Coleman Room in the Special Collections Research Center include:

  • St. George Tucker (1752-1827), Professor of Law, Lawyer, poet portrait on back wall
  • Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1784-1851), Lawyer, portrait left of doors
  • George Preston Coleman (1870-1948), Commissioner of Highways, Civil Engineer, Mayor of Williamsburg (1929-1934); Coleman Bridge (Gloucester Point -Yorktown) named after him, portrait right of doors

Portraits in the Special Collections Research Center

Note: Some portraits in the SCRC are in areas requiring a staff escort, so advance notice of a visit is requested. SCRC staff is usually able to accommodate requests to view portraits from drop-in visitors, but instances when there is an event, short-staffing, or other circumstance in the SCRC may impact immediate availability (for instance, a Saturday visitor may have to wait to be escorted to a restricted area while we are assisting a researcher). We make every effort to meet the requests of visitors, but calling ahead is also appreciated when possible.

Portraits that can be viewed in the Special Collections Research Center include:

  • St. George Tucker (1752-1827), Professor of Law, Lawyer, poet; portrait on back wall of the Tucker Coleman Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1784-1851), Lawyer, portrait left of doors in the Tucker Coleman Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • George Preston Coleman (1870-1948), Commissioner of Highways, Civil Engineer, Mayor of Williamsburg (1929-1934); Coleman Bridge (Gloucester Point -Yorktown) named after him, portrait right of doors in the Tucker Coleman Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • Cynthia Beverly Tucker Washington Coleman (1832-1908); founder of the APVA (Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities), portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort). The portrait was received in December 2004. It hung for many years in the Tucker house while Dr. Janet Coleman Kimbrough lived in the house. She was the last Tucker descendant to live in the house.
  • Peter Chapin, For whom the collection of Dog Books is named, by E.L. Swan, portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
  • William Barton Rogers (1804-1882), William and Mary student, 1819-1821; Professor of Natural Philosophy and Chemistry, 1828-1835; Founder and first president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.), by Bethuel Moore. Gift of James Stewart Bryan. Portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
  • Robert Gilchrist Robb (1875-1951), William and Mary student, 1891-1893; Professor of Chemistry, 1918-1946; Alumni Medallion Recipient, by H. Ledyard Towle in 1958. Gift of friends and students. Portrait in SCRC reception area (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
  • John Marshall, photo reproduction of an oil on campus dating circa 1834, by John Blennerhassett Martin (1797-1857), in Burger Office (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
  • Warren Burger, photo reproduction of an oil on campus dating circa 1969, by Birney Lettick (1919-1986), published in Time Magazine May 30, 1969, in Burger Office (in public area, does not require SCRC staff escort).
  • Richard Channing Moor Page, M.D., Born in Gloucester County, Virginia in 1840, Died in New York on June 18, 1898, by Charles H. Sherman, in Burger Conference Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • Louise Rowe Pullen, by Stanislav Rembski, in Burger Conference Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • Thomas Granville Pullen, Jr., by Stanislav Rembski, in Burger Conference Room (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • A. Willis Robertson, photograph, Virginia State Senate, 1916-1922; U.S. House of Representatives, 1932-1946; U.S. Senate, 1946-1966; Chairman of the Committee on Banking and Currency, 1959-1966, on SCRC 2nd Floor (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).
  • Robert Morton Hughes (1855-1940), Class of 1873; member, Board of Visitors, 1893-1918; Rector, 1905-1918; founder of the Marshall-Wythe School of Government and Citizenship. Portait, oil on canvas by Joseph M. Reeves, in SCRC Classroom (requires advance notice to SCRC staff to view).