Players' Dell

From Special Collections Wiki
(Redirected from Player's Dell)
Jump to: navigation, search
Players' Dell

Constructed: 1912

Map it for me

Note: Location on map is approximate.


The Players' Dell was located approximately between the southwest corner of Washington Hall and Barrett Hall. The March 26, 1912 Flat Hat references construction of a proposed lake and expresses concern over its possible encroachment on Players' Dell (p. 4).[1] The May 14, 1912 Flat Hat reviews a Mother Goose Pageant produced at Players' Dell (p. 1, 4) and mentions vandalism by "town toughs" the previous Friday (p. 2).[2]

Players' Dell preceded the Matoaka Theatre and later Lake Matoaka Amphitheater.


Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • Flat Hat, 2/11/1947, p. 9; 4/22/1947, p. 1.
  • Colonial Echo, Photograph in the 1909 edition on p. 154; photograph on the 1919 frontispiece.
  • University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Howard Scammon interview in the University Archives Oral History Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Search the SCRC Collections Database for the other resources available.

References

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.