1920 Board of Visitors' minutes indicate that one of two building purchased at Penniman was to be moved from Penniman and relocated to campus for use as a men's dormitory. In 1921 the hotel at Penniman was bought to be moved to campus behind the Dining Hall. One wing was used for the Biology Department as 5 laboratories and 1 lecture room. Another wing housed a 150-student dining hall to be connected with the kitchen via a covered passageway. 1921--Hotel at Penniman bought and will be moved to campus, erected back of Dining Hall. A third wing was for a 50-student dormitory.
In 1924 the second floor of the Penniman Building was converted into a freshman dining hall.
The Penniman Building was destroyed by fire on June 18, 1925.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Guide for conducting research related to the College of William & Mary
- "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," Endowment Association, 1924. One of the War Barrack Dormitories, p. 14; aerial photo p. 16; temporary galvanized iron science hall, p. 21.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|