Palace Lots

From Special Collections Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Palace Lots were also known as the Saunders House or the Carter House. They were located on the west side of the Palace Green.

Chronology

1835--inherited by Robert Saunders; he lived in while President of the College of William and Mary.

1868--purchased by College from William S. Peachy

1870--Report of President Benjamin S. Ewell to the Board of Visitors: "It is necessary that the Grammar School be removed from the College Grounds. The Palace lot containing from 4 to 5 acres, belongs to the College, and affords an admirable site for the school...while a capacious dwelling on the adjoining lot which belonged to the estate of the late Robert Saunders, but was recently sold under a deed of trust and purchased by the College is admirably suitable for the residence of the Master, and the Boarding House of the boys." (BOV, July 4, 1870, p.90)

1886--"On November 4, 1886 the Saunders House & Lot were sold to Miss Martha Wootten for Twelve Hundred Dolls..." (Bursar's report for year 1886/87)

..Palace Lots, about 4 acres, retained

1916-17--Theta Delta Chi fraternity house (Thomas G. Pullen, Jr. Scrapbook)

1919-20--Kappa Sigma fraternity house (1920 Colonial Echo, p. 117)

1929--remaining lots and improvements sold to Colonial Williamsburg, May 1929 (1982.60 under Property Sales/ Purchases Deed Transactions)

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • Board of Visitors Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Office of the Bursar Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Colonial Echo
  • Thomas G. Pullen, Jr. Scrapbook, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.

References

  • Board of Visitors Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Office of the Bursar Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
  • Colonial Echo

Need help?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.

Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at spcoll@wm.edu or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.

A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki
The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.