Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1820-1890)
Note: This page is currently under construction. Please check back for updates. December 19, 2018.
Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (June 8, 1820 - July 4, 1890), Confederate Agent, was born in Winchester, Virginia, the grandson of St. George Tucker, the nephew of Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1784-1851) and the son of Henry St. George Tucker (1780-1897). His mother was Anne Evelina (Hunter) Tucker and John Randolph Tucker (1823-1897) was his brother. He married Jane Shelton in 1841. They had eight children. From 1853-1856 he edited the Washington Sentinel. In 1857 he became consul at Liverpool. Upon the secession of Virginia during the Civil War, he returned home and joined the Confederate Army. He contracted to provide supplies for the army. After the war, he was accused of complicity in the plot to murder Lincoln.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Nathaniel Beverley Tucker in SCRC Database
- Nathaniel Beverley Tucker in SCRC Digital Archive
- Tucker-Coleman Collection in SCRC Rare Books
- SCRC File.
External Links / Further Reading
- "The Life and Literature of Nathaniel Beverley Tucker", Robert Doares, Jr., Colonial Williamsburg Journal, Autumn 2001, accessed December 19, 2018.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|