James E. Jenkins
James E. Jenkins was a student at the College of William and Mary in 1844-1846 according to the Provisional List of Alumni.
A researcher provided the following information:
James Edward Jenkins practiced law in Suffolk, Virginia. He closed his office in Suffolk and took his family to St. Louis, MO, around 1858 and opened an office there in a location that is now under the arch. He came back by 1863 and enlisted 19 days after his cousin, John Summerfield Jenkins, was killed at Gettysburg. John was also a lawer, a UVA graduate, who practiced in Suffolk. James had seven children by then but came home to enlist. He served as clerk to General James Dearing from Lynchburg. He is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery in Suffolk. A new tombstone was installed in the summer of 2005. Willis Jenkins was undoubtedly a relative. He may have been the son of John Summerfield Jenkins who did leave a widow and a son, Willis Asbury Jenkins.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- James E. Jenkins, University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
- Earl Gregg Swem Genealogy Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
|A note about the information in this wiki|
|Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fire, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the SCRC's collections and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the SCRC's access tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|