Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Abbot E. Smith Papers, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary. (his book is included below)
- Virginia Gazette Index, 1736-1780: 2 volumes, call number AI21 .V5; copies are also available in Swem Library in Microforms Reference, Reference Virginia, & in the general stacks.
- Virginia Historical Index (Swem's) Index – Copies are available in Swem Library (in Reference-Virginia & the SCRC, call number F221 .S93)
- Tucker-Coleman Papers; search the Tucker-Coleman Papers card catalog under indentured servants and
servants; including an interesting broadside, undated, (Tucker dated 1797).
- Check the old Manuscripts card catalog.
- Smith, Abbot Emerson. Colonists in bondage; white servitude and convict labor in America, 1607-1776.
Publication info.: Gloucester, Mass., P. Smith, 1965 [c1947]. Physical description: viii, 435 p. 22 cm. Swem Library call number: HD4875 .U5 S5 1965
- Coyle, Betty Wade Wyatt, 1946- . The treatment of servants and slaves in colonial Virginia. Publication info.: 1974. Physical description: vi, 116 leaves ; 29 cm. Note: Typescript. Note: Thesis (M.A.)--College of William and Mary. Call number: LD6051 .W5m Soc., 1974, C69
- Schmidt, Frederick Hall, 1937- . British convict servant labor in colonial Virginia. Publication info.: 1976. Physical description: viii, 299 leaves ; 29 cm. Note: Typescript. Note: Thesis--College of William and Mary. Call number: LD6051 .W5m Hist., 1976, S34.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|