The Department of Home Economics at the College of William and Mary was organized in 1918 when the university began accepting women students. On August 24, 1918, future President of the College, Julian Alvin Carroll Chandler, wrote to President Lyon G. Tyler to express that his committee had "decided favorably on home economics for William and Mary." Chandler also expressed his hope that it would be a "real satisfactory college department."
According to the 1918-1919 Course Catalog, the department was "intended primarily for the training of teachers of Home Economics," but "open to all women of the college, and to others who may desire to elect them."
The Home Economics major included classes in the more "traditional" women's work, such as sewing and cooking, but it also included Math, English, and even Organic Chemistry. This department prepared women to become not only educated in the liberal arts, but also prepared them for a career.
Edith Baer served as Professor of Home Economics from 1918 to 1920. The department had a Practice House for students. The department was housed in Science Hall from 1922 through 1929 when it moved to Ewell Hall (which was then known as Phi Beta Kappa Hall). The Science Hall held classes for Home Economics and Music as well as classes for shorthand and typing during 1930 and 1931.
"The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," a 1924 fundraising publication included a proposal for constructing a building for Home Economics.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Dept. of Home Economics in the SCRC database.
- Search the SCRC Collections Database for Home Economics.
- When Mary Comes to the College with William Blog, 19 February 2009.
- "The Petticoat Invasion": Women at the College of William and Mary 1918-1945, 19 February 2009.
- University Archives Building File, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
- University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary.
- "The Romance and Renaissance of the College of William and Mary in Virginia," Endowment Association, 1924, p. 28-29.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|