The Greenhouse at the College of William and Mary was located north of the Wren Building and west of the President's House garage. It was built in the early 1900s and was 15' x 24' in size with a glass roof.
In 1908, the Board of Visitors appropriated funds for improvements "for Greenhouse for Prof. Ritchie 750.00." (Board of Visitors meeting minutes, June 1908 p. 171) The Greenhouse was mentioned in President Lyon G. Tyler's report to the Board of Visitors in February 1909. (Board of Visitors meeting minutes, February 1909, p. 181).
The Greenhouse can be seen on a map of campus dated April 15, 1930, produced by the South-Eastern Underwriters Association in the Special Collections Research Center.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- University Archives Photograph Collection:
- P1985.61, circa 1915
- P1989.259 (scan #B3245A4)
- University Archives Buildings File (2007), Greenhouse, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William and Mary.
To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for an overview of the Special Collections Database, W&M Digital Archive, Flat Hat-William & Mary News-Alumni Gazette index, card catalogs, and other tools available to help you find material of interest in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center.
Questions? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at email@example.com or 757-221-3090, or visit the Special Collections Research Center in the Earl Gregg Swem Library at the College of William and Mary.
|A Note About The Contents Of This Wiki|
|The information available in this wiki is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of the College of William and Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information available here is the best available from known documents and sources at the time it was written. Information in this wiki is not complete as new information continues to be uncovered in the Swem Library's Special Collections Research Center and elsewhere. Researchers are strongly encouraged to use the Special Collections search tools for their research as the information contained in this wiki is by no means comprehensive.|